Probationary Firefighters – Waterloo – 2019
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
The City of Waterloo is seeking Probationary Firefighter(s) to join the Waterloo Fire Rescue Team. Waterloo Fire Rescue is a diverse team of highly skilled and caring professionals who provide essential community based education, prevention and emergency response service that enhance public safety and quality of life. Applicants who are prepared to shape our firesafe community and make a career commitment to community service, health and safety, and professional development are encouraged to apply to become a member of our diverse team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform fire suppression duties to extinguish and/or prevent fires to save life and property under emergency conditions
- Aid and provide emergency medical response, including performing rescue/extrication operations to prevent loss of life or further injury
- Operate all equipment including pumps, hoses, manual ladders, mechanical ladders, generators, and automobile extrication equipment
- Secure the emergency scene for the safety of the public and other firefighters
- Drive and operate any WFR vehicles in accordance with policy and the Highway Traffic Act
- Support the work team and allied agencies to maintain public safety
- Perform station, equipment and vehicle maintenance
- Comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other relevant legislation
- Comply with departmental policies, guidelines, and departmental rules and regulations
- Provide excellent customer service as well as being leaders in public fire safety education
- Support fire prevention efforts by conducting demonstrations, public education, inspections and investigations
- Participate in training exercises and courses to continuously increase knowledge and skills to remain current
- Must be psychologically and physically prepared to respond to emergencies of any kind
- Other duties as may be required
- Possess a valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificate inclusive of stages 1, 2 and 3
- Candidates must meet the criteria required by the Ontario Fire Marshall and Emergency Management (OFMEM) firefighter certification in accordance with O.Reg. 379/18 firefighter Certification. Subject to the review of WFR applicants will normally have completed education or gained experience which will meet the criteria of the OFMEM within one of the following scenarios:
- Have completed a pre-Service Firefighter Education & Training Program Certification recognized by the OFMEM that includes NFPA1001 firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
- Has been NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certified from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the Pro Board.
- Has completed OFM curriculum components 1,2 and 3 with examination certificate and has received NFPA 1001 firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
- Has received “grandfather” status / certification as a firefighter from the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshall in accordance to the O. Reg 379/18 Firefighter Certification
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD –Grade 12) or academic equivalency
- Current certification as emergency medical responder or certification deemed equivalent as determined by WFR preferred
- Health Care Provider CPR Level C certificate
- A genuine commitment and desire to serve the community and a strong work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism are required
- Ability to take direction and work cooperatively in a team environment are valued attributes
- Demonstrate ability to work within the City of Waterloo and WFR value system
- Ability to problem solve, work collaboratively with others and work under high pressure in an emergency services setting
- Possess a valid Ontario DZ driver’s license at the time of hire
- Candidates must meet the vision requirements as outlined in Chapter Six of NFPA 1582 : Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments in accordance with OFAI requirements
- Successful completion of psychological screening completed by a mental health professional of the employers choosing*
* Candidates will not be provided with the results of or feedback from their psychological assessment
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labour within high risk and hazardous environments
- Must be able to work at heights or in a confined space as required
- Ability to work on rotating shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Free of any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted
- Possess a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector screening
- Speak, read and write English fluently, and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding, high-pressure situations
- Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Current and significant community service and volunteer involvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience where the applicant has informed or helped to make positive change in a community or workplace setting
- Formal academic credentials and experience related to emergency management, community safety, fire prevention/suppression, workplace health and wellness, or another related field as determined by WFR
- Completion of higher-level medical training and experience
- Full or part time work experience in the areas of fire suppression, fire prevention, construction, trades, or mechanical
- Fluency in a second language or sign language
Online Application Process:
Interested and qualified candidates must submit their resume, cover letter, Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certification and copies of other relevant certification identified in this posting combined in one document through the online application process below, by clicking 'Apply Now'.
When applying online, please consider the following:
- You will receive an email confirmation that your resume and cover letter has been successfully received. Please check your junk or spam folder if you do not see this confirmation email in your inbox.
- Only those applicants selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted.
- Resumes and cover letters will only be accepted online. The City will not accept applications delivered in person or by mail.
- Applicants must possess all necessary certifications outlined in this posting at time of application. Applicants who are in the process of obtaining required certifications will not be considered.
- Applicants are responsible for all costs (i.e.: certificates, testing, travel, medical) throughout the recruitment process.
- Completion of the OFAI certificate does not guarantee applicants will move forward in the recruitment process.
- Firefighter recruitments attract a high volume of applicants, as a result the City is unable to respond to individual inquiries during or after the recruitment process, phone calls will not be accepted.
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…