Probationary Firefighter – Pickering – 2021
Pickering is a vibrant, connected, and engaged community that is experiencing both significant economic and residential growth. We continue to evolve as a preferred destination for creative learning, memorable events, and unique experiences, and are seeking passionate candidates that are committed to joining us on our journey.
Our dedicated, energetic staff are guided by our core values and corporate priorities, which fuel an inclusive culture and encourages teamwork, customer service excellence, and personal and professional growth.
The City provides a competitive compensation and benefits package with a focus on workplace wellness. Explore our career opportunities and see how you can make a difference.
- Successful completion of secondary school education.
- A post-secondary certificate in a Pre-Service Firefighter Education & Training Program from a recognized College, or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter Level I and Level II, IFSAC or Pro Board Certificate.
- Must possess current Standard First Aid and Basic Rescuer CPR-C Certificates. Proof of certifications must be provided at the time of interview.
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class “D” licence with “Z” endorsement and be willing to provide a driver’s abstract. A clean driving record is preferred.
- Must be medically and physically fit (as prescribed by OFAI standards) to perform prolonged and/or dangerous work sometimes under adverse conditions and to meet the agility requirements of the job and be willing to maintain this level.
- Previous firefighting experience may be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and analyze potential risks quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in the English language with the skills to deal with the public in a professional manner sometimes under stressful and chaotic conditions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of personal computers and Windows based computer applications.
- Ability to safely operate mechanical equipment including hydraulic, electrical, hand equipment and tools an asset.
- Must be prepared to undergo a Criminal Reference check as a condition of employment.
- Must be willing to work on rotating shifts; currently a 24-hour shift system, which includes weekends and holidays.
- Pickering requires all candidates to hold valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Program Stage 1, 2, and 3 certificates. You must possess valid certificates for Stage 1 and Stage 2, Hearing and Vision assessments, at time of application. Candidates must successfully complete all stages of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services program (OFAI CTS), by time of hire, and be prepared to submit all related certificates.