Probationary Firefighter – Peterborough – 2021
Peterborough Fire Services provides emergency and support services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to the citizens of the community. There are 3 stations throughout the City, and we maintain a non-staffed Foam Tender at the airport. Peterborough Fire Services provides employment for approximately 100 staff that spread across prevention, administration, communications, suppression, public education and training.
A career as a Firefighter is both a demanding profession and a rewarding one. Peterborough Fire Services is made up of a team of skilled professionals committed to providing a superior level of emergency services, fire prevention and public education. We seek highly talented individuals who have a keen interest in serving the public.
Successful candidates will combat fires, perform rescue work, perform call taking and dispatching functions using computer aided dispatch and other applications, administer designated emergency medical procedures, conduct public education programs, inspect buildings for fire hazards, operate and maintain firefighting equipment and fire stations. Peterborough Fire Services employees are members of the Peterborough Professional Fire Fighters Association.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent (as certified by the Ontario Ministry of Education)
- Valid Standard First Aid with Basic Life Support Certificate or Health Care Provider Certificate
- Valid DZ Ontario Driver’s Licence with excellent Driver’s Abstract
- Pleasure Craft Licence (Get your license here!)
- Excellent hearing without having to use artificial aids
- Visual requirements in accordance with NFPA 1582
- Willing and able to work 24-hour shifts (days, nights, weekends, and holidays)
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
- Have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted
- Completion of Pre-Service Fire Fighter Education Training Program at an OFM Endorsed Community College and/or NFPA 1001 Level I & II (or equivalency)
- Valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Service (CTS) Certificates for Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three. For more information, please visit www.ofai.ca. If as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic the applicant is not able to obtain all required certificates by the time of applications, all certificates must be obtained prior to the interview process.
- Successful completion of OFAI swim test. If as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic the applicant is not able to complete the swim test, one must be obtained prior to the job offer provided a swim test is being offered.
Applications will be accepted via our online application process until 12:00 p.m. on Friday, August 6, 2021. Interviews are expected to be conducted in September/October of 2021.
For additional information, please review the Firefighter Recruitment page.
The City of Peterborough is an organization that strives to embrace the spirit of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment in which all individuals have access to the City's goods, services and facilities. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation. The personal information submitted for employment is collected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. We thank you for your application but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.