Probationary Firefighter – Orillia – 2022
The City of Orillia is seeking qualified candidates for probationary fire fighter vacancies that may arise in the near future. The salary of a probationary fire fighter is $63,045 (January, 2022 rate). We are looking for individuals possessing a strong sense of caring, who can remain calm and focused in emergency situations, and who are prepared to put their own lives on the line to save others. This physically demanding career will see you combat fires, perform rescue operations, and provide medical assistance in an emergency environment, as well as handle routine maintenance of fire fighting equipment and facilities. Candidates must have a strong desire to serve the community, a strong work ethic, and a strong sense of loyalty and duty. Candidates must have the ability and willingness to follow written and verbal instructions in English promptly and efficiently in a paramilitary organization. Probationary fire fighters must work 24 hour shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Provide proof of having received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines as approved by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Provide proof of having received at least the first dose of the Hepatitis A and B vaccine regimen, and willing to complete of three-doses within a 1-year period at the cost of the applicant.
- Provide proof of having NFPA 1001 (Level I and Level II), NFPA 1002 (chapter 5), NFPA 1072 (operations level) within a 1-year period.
- Provide proof of having NFPA 1006 chapter 8, Common Passenger Vehicle Rescue (Technician); NFPA 1006 chapter 9, Heavy Vehicle Rescue (Technician); NFPA 1006 chapter 17, Surface Water Rescue (Technician); and NFPA 1006 chapter 20, Ice Water Rescue (Technician) within a 3-year period.
- Provide proof of successful completion of the six components of the Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening Test in one day (no earlier than six months prior – November 14, 2021 ).
- Provide a copy of a valid unrestricted Ontario class D driver’s licence with Z endorsement, with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
- Provide proof of current standard First Aid and “Basic Rescuer” CPR (Level C) or better.
- Provide proof of successful completion of Grade 12 education in the Province of Ontario or equivalent.
- Provide a current original criminal record check with a vulnerable sector check (Must be within three months of the application deadline). Proof of application for such check will be acceptable with the application form.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Be able to wear and use appropriate safety equipment and clothing.
- Provide proof pertaining to the number of years as a trained full-time Fire Fighter or a Volunteer Fire Fighter.
- Provide proof of medical training (i.e. paramedic, nursing, etc.).
1. In order for your application to be considered:
(a) You must first successfully complete the Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening Test. Two test dates will be held: May 14 and 15, 2022. (The associated transportation costs and testing fee will be the responsibility of the applicant.) To complete the test, you must pre-register by 4:00 p.m. on April 15, 2022. It is highly recommended that you apply as early as possible. To register for all seven components, please go to fireontario.com and click on the ‘Registration’ tab. If you are unable to register online, contact Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening Services at [email protected] To book a CPAT orientation, or to purchase the CPS prep manual, please email [email protected]
(b) If applicants have valid certificates dated on or after November 14, 2021 (all seven tests), please contact Fire Fighter Services of Ontario at [email protected] to have your results transferred to the City of Orillia ($25 fee). All six components must be completed in one day. Emotional Stability and Resiliency test is completed online, on a separate date. Deadline to complete ESR is April 30, 2022.
2. Submit a completed Probationary Fire Fighter application form, which can be downloaded below, together with your resume and a copy of all documents indicated above by mail or courier from May 16 to May 30, 2022 during normal business hours (except May 23 which is a statutory holiday). All documents must be received by the Human Resources Department office by 4:00 p.m. on May 30, 2022. Applications received after this deadline will not be accepted. Please no emails, faxes or telephone calls.