Probationary Firefighter – Oakville – 2019
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants.
The Town of Oakville is looking for new Probationary Fire Fighters to join the Oakville Fire Department. Working in an Incident Command System, the Fire Fighter’s role is to protect life and property through fire fighting, emergency medical and other types of emergency incidents, often performed under conditions, which require strenuous physical exertion. Fire Fighters are also expected to provide excellent customer service as well as being leaders in public fire safety education.
Fire Fighters are expected to maintain a high standard of professionalism, solve problems, work as part of a dynamic team and possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Teamwork is very important; Fire Fighters live and work together in close quarters throughout their 24-hour shift. This requires all team members to depend on each other to perform their duties successfully whether having to share routine tasks at the fire station, providing services at an emergency scene, or providing service assistance to other agencies and/or the public.
To be considered, you must:
- Have successfully completed ONE of the following:
- Pre-service Fire Fighter education and training program certificate; or
- NFPA 1001-Fire Fighter I and II certified, education and training program from an accredited institution;or
- Two years’ experience as a municipal Fire Fighter in a municipal fire department; or
- Minimum 5 years continuous volunteer Fire Fighting experience in a municipal fire department
- Possess a valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificate and swim test certificate (see note below for details).
- Possess an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or academic equivalent.
- Possess valid and current Standard First Aid and CPR certificates.
- Possess a valid and unrestricted Ontario class “D” driver’s license with a “Z” air brake endorsement and a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Applicants with 6 or more demerit points are ineligible for consideration. A driver’s abstract will be required at the conditional offer stage and must be dated within the last 30 days from when requested.
- Possess a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. Please note that successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment.
- Be able to understand and communicate clearly in English under stressful conditions, both oral and written.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively as a member of an effective and professional team.
- Have a strong desire to serve the community and a strong work ethic.
- University degree or college diploma.
- NFPA Operations or Technician Level Certificate in one or more of the following programs: rope rescue, confined space rescue, water/ice rescue, hazmat response.
- Fire Fighter experience (volunteer or professional). Please note: Successful candidates with full-time fire fighter experience may be eligible to participate in a shortened recruit training program.
- Fluency in languages other than English.
- Trade apprenticeship or certification.
- Working experience.
- Medical training or experience (i.e. Paramedic, Nursing etc).
- Emergency Medical Responder certification.
- Other relevant specialized training, qualifications or experience.
- Demonstrated community service and/or volunteer involvement.
- When applying online, you will receive an email confirmation that your resume and cover letter has been successfully received by the town. Please check your junk or spam folder if you do not see this confirmation email in your inbox.
- Only those applicants selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted by the town.
- Resumes and cover letters will only be accepted online. The town will not accept applications delivered in person or by mail.
- Applicants must possess all necessary certifications outlined in this posting at time of application except the OFAI Swim Test which must be dated prior to the second interviews. Applicants who are in the process of obtaining required certifications will not be considered.
- Applicants are responsible for all costs (i.e.: certificates, testing, travel, medical) throughout the recruitment process.
- Completion of the OFAI certificate does not guarantee applicants will move forward in the recruitment process.
- Successful candidates will be required to successfully complete a medical screening that is satisfactory to the town including proof of the following vaccinations/immunizations: Red Measles, Mumps, Rubella (German Measles) commonly known as MMR; Tetanus/Diphtheria (must be current within 10 -12 years), Polio and Hepatitis B.
- Fire fighter recruitments attract a high volume of applicants. The town is unable to respond to individual inquiries during or after the recruitment process. Please do not call the town, Human Resources or Fire department.
- Please visit the town’s website at www.oakville.ca to view Frequently Asked Questions and Key Dates.
If you are interested in a career as a Probationary Fire Fighter with the Town of Oakville, please submit your resume and cover letter online at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than noon 12:00 pm on Monday August 19, 2019.
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…