Probationary Firefighter – Markham – 2022
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities and key values, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all, while reflecting our community’s diverse representation.
We are pleased to be named one of Canada's Best Employers for 2022 and the best City employer by Forbes for the second consecutive year. The City of Markham is ranked in the top two for Government Services and 15th among the 300 employers on the list, advancing from 18th place in 2021.
You are applying for an entry-level position to join one of the most progressive and modern fire services in Canada. Markham Fire is dedicated to modernizing not only our service, but the industry, by reducing fires, investing in people and leading innovation.
We are currently accepting applications for the Probationary Firefighter position. Please apply on-line at www.markham.ca/careers. Kindly submit your resume, cover letter, certifications, licenses and other relevant documentation by March 13, 2022.
- Possess valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificates for Stage One, Two and Three. Certificates must be valid throughout the duration of the entire recruitment process. Please visit www.ofai.ca for more information.
- Be 18 years of age or older and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- NFPA Firefighter Certification (NFPA 1001 including Fire Fighter I & II) from a recognized board of accreditation (i.e. IFSAC or ProBoard).
- Must be able to work on a rotating 24 hour shift schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Be able to understand and communicate clearly in English, both oral and written.
- Possess or be able to obtain within 6 months of date of hire, a valid Class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s License.
- Candidates must provide a driver’s abstract which should reflect less than 3 demerit points and no more than two infractions (maximum of one moving and one non-moving conviction). In order to be eligible for employment any demerit points must be within 12 months of being removed from the licence.
- Have a minimum of an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12) or academic equivalent.
- Be able to physically and mentally perform the duties of a firefighter, having regard for one’s own safety and the safety of members of the public.
- Have prescribed normal unaided hearing.
- Have Standard First Aid and CPR level HCP (Health Care Providers) valid for six months after start date of employment.
- Have a current immunization record for Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Polio, Diptheria, Hepatitis B and Tetanus.
- Be criminal record free unless a pardon has been granted under the Criminal Records Act (Canada) and has not been revoked. As a condition of employment, a satisfactory vulnerable sector screening is required.
- Firefighter Pre-Service Education & Training Program
- NFPA 1041 Level I Fire Service Instructor
- NFPA 1072 Standard for Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction (Formerly NFPA 472)
- Previous experience in Fire suppression, construction, trades and/or trade certifications, mechanical, emergency services (e.g. Paramedic), Military/Coast Guard, fire prevention, large vehicle operation, and/or operating heavy equipment. And/or;
- Demonstrated experience in a fast-paced, stressful work environment Community College diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technician/Technology Program.
- Coaching/Teaching/Counselling/Recreation Leadership
- Fluency in a second language, preferably one well-represented in the City of Markham
- Occupational Health and Safety Training
- Medical, Ski Patrol or Other Professional Emergency Service Certification
- Volunteer and/or community involvement
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible, and barrier-free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. The identification of your lived experience as a member of Black, Indigenous, persons of color or other communities is welcomed in your application. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier-free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination upon a conditional offer of employment. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.
We thank all applicants who have applied. However, only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.