Probationary Firefighter – Markham – 2020
Markham Fire and Emergency Services is a community organization currently operating 11 front run apparatus from nine fire stations. The organization employs about 280 women and men who work in the divisions of Fire Prevention/Public Education, Communications, Training, Mechanical, Suppression and Administration.
- Possess valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificates for Stage One, Two and Three and Swim Test. Certificates must be valid throughout the duration of the entire recruitment process. Please visit www.ofai.ca for more information.
Be 18 years of age or older and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- NFPA Firefighter Certification (NFPA 1001 including Fire Fighter I & II) from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Be able to work a shift schedule, including days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Be able to understand and communicate clearly in English, both oral and written.
- Possess a valid Class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s License with a satisfactory driver’s abstract dated no more than three months prior to the application date which must be maintained throughout the recruitment process. The driver’s abstract should reflect no demerit points and no more than two infractions (maximum of one moving and one non-moving conviction).
- Have a minimum of an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12) or academic equivalent.
- Be able to physically and mentally perform the duties of a firefighter, having regard for one’s own safety and the safety of members of the public.
- Have prescribed normal unaided hearing.
- Have Standard First Aid and CPR level HCP (Health Care Providers) valid for six months after start date of employment.
- Be criminal record free unless a pardon has been granted under the Criminal Records Act (Canada) with Vulnerable Sector Screening, and has not been revoked.
- Have a current immunization record for Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Polio, Diptheria, Hepatitis B and Tetanus.
- Firefighter Pre-Service Education & Training Program
- NFPA 1041 Level I Fire Service Instructor
- NFPA 1072 Standard for Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction (Formerly NFPA 472)
- Previous experience in Fire suppression, construction, trades, mechanical, emergency services (e.g. Paramedic), Military/Coast Guard, fire prevention, large vehicle operation, and/or operating heavy equipment.
- Community College diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technician/Technology Program.
- Coaching/Teaching/Counselling/Recreation Leadership
- Fluency in a second language or sign language
- Trades Qualification(s)
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) Training
- Occupational Health and Safety Training
- Climbing Skills - Mountain/Rope
- Medical, Ski Patrol or Other Professional Emergency Service Certification
- Volunteer and/or community involvement
- Confined Space Training
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.