Probationary Firefighter – Kitchener – 2023
If you are compassionate, customer-focused and motivated towards a challenging and rewarding career making a difference in our community, then this may be the opportunity for you.
A career in firefighting is a demanding and respected profession that offers an opportunity to provide valued services to the public.
The City of Kitchener’s Fire Department is currently accepting resumes to establish a pool of qualified candidates for all vacancies for the position of Probationary Firefighter.
Kitchener Firefighters pride themselves in serving our community. They provide essential services through education, prevention and suppression.
- NFPA 1001-Firefighter I & II from a recognized pre-service Firefighter Education and Training Program or from an accredited program from a recognized institution
- Successful completion of all three stages of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Service prior to July 4, 2023
- Valid and current First Aid training equivalent to Emergency First Responder or Emergency Medical Responder and Health Care Provider CPR. Candidates must have the medical skills required to successfully pass the OFAI Stage Three Firefighter Technical Skills Medical Modality
- Outstanding employment record
- Must have the ability to support and project values compatible with the organization
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Possess the ability to deal with difficult individuals, in a courteous and effective manner
- Commitment to working effectively in a team environment
- Upon hire must provide proof of a valid Class “DZ” driver’s license deemed acceptable by the City of Kitchener
- Must have ability to swim
- Previous Firefighter experience
- NFPA 1035 Fire and Life Safety Educator
- NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector
- OFAI Swim Test
- Knowledge of firefighting equipment, terminology and practice
- Previous related work experience
- Demonstrated community service involvement
- Certified trade training or experience
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Other relevant specialized training/qualifications
Mandatory Application Format:
1. You must apply online
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed three (3) pages
3. To avoid disqualification, your resume must be in the following format and order:
- Work Experience
- General Education
- Community Involvement or Volunteer Experience
- Fire Related Education and Related Courses
- Employment is conditional upon the provision of a satisfactory and current Police Vulnerable Sector Check dated no earlier than 2 weeks before your start date. Any related costs are the sole responsibility of the applicant
- As part of the selection process candidates may be requested to submit to additional screening tests
- If hired, you may be subject to short term platoon transfers in your first year of employment upon successful completion of your recruit training.