Probationary Firefighter – Kitchener – 2021
If you are compassionate, customer-focused and motivated towards a challenging and rewarding career making a difference in our community, then this may be the opportunity for you.
A career in firefighting is a demanding and respected profession that offers an opportunity to provide valued services to the public.
The City of Kitchener’s Fire Department is currently accepting resumes to establish a pool of qualified candidates for all vacancies for the position of Probationary Firefighter.
Kitchener Firefighters pride themselves in serving our community. They provide essential services through education, prevention and suppression.
- NFPA 1001-Firefighter I & II from a recognized pre-service Firefighter Education and Training Program or from an accredited program from a recognized institution
- Successful completion of all three stages of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Service prior to October 10, 2021
- Valid and current First Aid training equivalent to Emergency First Responder or Emergency Medical Responder and Health Care Provider CPR. Candidates must have the medical skills required to successfully pass the OFAI Stage Three Firefighter Technical Skills Medical Modality
- Outstanding employment record
- Must have the ability to support and project values compatible with the organization
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Possess the ability to deal with difficult individuals, in a courteous and effective manner
- Commitment to working effectively in a team environment
- Upon hire must provide proof of a valid Class “DZ” driver’s license deemed acceptable by the City of Kitchener
- Must have ability to swim
- Previous Firefighter experience
- NFPA 1035 Fire and Life Safety Educator
- NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector
- OFAI Swim Test
- Knowledge of firefighting equipment, terminology and practice
- Previous related work experience
- Demonstrated community service involvement
- Certified trade training or experience
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Other relevant specialized training/qualifications