Probationary Firefighter – Cambridge – 2018
Working within our Strategic Plan of People, Place, and Prosperity, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to make the City of Cambridge a place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Working within a team environment to “Save Lives, Prevent Injury, Protect Property” through emergency response and public fire and life safety duties.
2. Responsible for firefighting entailing the combating, extinguishing and preventing of fires, and the saving of life and property.
3. Rapidly and efficiently performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable hazard and strenuous physical exertion.
4. Responding to fire alarms or other emergencies, laying and connecting hose, directing water streams, and using extinguishers and all other department equipment necessary for the efficient performance of the duties.
5. Responsible for station maintenance and upkeep of firefighting equipment and fire department property.
6. Responsible for upgrading and maintaining skills/knowledge and physical requirements to current standards.
7. Drives and/or operates any vehicle or equipment as assigned.
8. Provides excellent customer service as well as being a leader in public fire and life safety education through participation in public relations projects involving visits, displays, lectures, demonstrations, parades, etc.
9. Assists with on-the-job training of other firefighters.
10. Performs inspections and assessments related to fire prevention duties.
11. Adheres to all Federal, Provincial and Municipal Laws, Regulations, By-laws as well as all departmental and Corporate Policies and Procedures.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
• 18 years of age or older and legally entitled to work in Canada (citizen/landed immigrant).
• At least 20/30 uncorrected binocular vision and satisfactory colour and peripheral vision and uncorrected hearing.
• Free of any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. Possess a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. Please note that successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last thirty (30) days as a condition of employment.
• Speak, read and write English fluently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding, high pressure. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Possess a current First Responder Certificate with HCP-level, CPR and AED (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
• Possess a valid, unrestricted Class “DZ” Driver’s License by the interview stage. Provision of a driver’s abstract with fewer than three CVOR demerit points and/or infractions for three years within the last thirty (30) days from when requested.
• Must possess certificates from the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services - Stages 1, 2, 3 and Swim Test maintained current throughout the recruitment and selection process
• Pleasure Craft Operator Card
• Demonstrated community service involvement.
• The Fire Chief will determine equivalency for internal candidates.
Possess at least one of the following credentials:
• Pre-Service Fire Fighter Education and Training Program Certification, or
• NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II Certified from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the Pro Board, or (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
• OFM curriculum components 1, 2 and 3 with examination certificate, or
• Minimum two years’ experience as a full-time fire fighter in a municipal fire department, or
• Minimum five years’ experience as a part-time fire fighter in a municipal fire department.
First Responder Certificate with HCP-level, CPR and AED
NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II Certified from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress or the Pro Board (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services - Stages 1, 2, 3 and Swim Test maintained current throughout the recruitment and selection process
Pleasure Craft Operator Card
Pre-Service Fire Fighter Education and Training Program Certification
OFM curriculum components 1, 2 and 3 with examination certificate
Mandatory Required Resume Format
Resumes must be in the following format to be considered:
• Work Experience
• General Education
• Fire Related Education and Courses
• Community Involvement or Volunteer Experience
No cover letter is required.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
Valid DZ driver's license
Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training certificate from the Ministry of Labour.
Proof of current or future enrolment in post-secondary education.
Confirmation that you are physically able to perform the essential duties of the position, as assessed through our third party provider, prior to commencement in the position.
Current and valid Police Vulnerable Sector Check to be provided prior to commencement in this position.