20 Sample Firefighter Interview Questions
In this post, I supply you with 20 commonly asked firefighter interview questions.
Before we get to the questions, here are a couple hints and tips for getting through the interview. Keep these in mind while you formulate your answers.
- Take the process seriously
- Be yourself, try to relax and make yourself comfortable
- Firefighter interviews are timed. If you finish all the questions and there is time remaining, you may want to revisit one or more questions to add information or you may want to go over all of the questions, again, depending on the time remaining
- Answer the question fully and to the best of your knowledge and ability. Answer the questions as if you are educating the panel members. Remember, the panel can only give you marks for the answers you provide
- If a question is long or has more than one part, use the pencil and paper provided to help keep yourself on track and not to formulate a written response.
- Listen carefully and answer the questions you are asked. The panel will repeat the question as often as need be so don’t hesitate to ask to have a question repeated. However, the panel cannot interpret the question for you
- Be honest and straightforward
- Be concise and specific
- Stay focused and keep your composure
- Remember, the panel members are writing down everything you are saying so do not talk too fast or too softly … you want to be heard
- And, remember that the panel is on your side. They want you to be successful in the interview!
Mock Interview Service
If you don't feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don't just "wing" an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.
- Why do you want to work for X Fire and Emergency Services?
- Describe in your own words Professional Firefighter.
- Two words to describe you personally and professionally.
- Why do you want to be a firefighter?
- Discuss a time when you persuaded others to see your ideas.
- An individual is consistently eating their lunch by themselves what would you do?
- You are outside doing yard duties when fellow Fire Fighters make a racial slur to an individual walking by. What do you do?
- A teammate removes their SCBA in a volatile environment. What do you do?
- The chief orders a directive you do not agree with. What do you do?
- Describe a time, in detail, when you took on a leadership role.
- What role does public education and prevention in firefighting today?
- What are you most proud of with regard to your accomplishments so far in firefighting?
- What will you do with your down time during a shift?
- Why should we hire you?
- If you were working with us and a job closer to home came up what would you do?
- We work with the OFM curriculum, what have you done to work towards this?
- We work a night and day shift rotation will this be a problem?
- In the work environment how do you deal with stress?
- How do you like to be supervised?
- How will your family deal with rotating shifts?