Probationary Firefighter – Barrie – 2019
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Duties and Responsibilities
Located at one of the City's five fire stations, you will be responsible for responding to fires, fire alarms, technical rescues, hazardous material incidents, medical emergencies, marine incidents and other emergencies. As a frontline member of the Barrie Fire and Emergency Services Department, you will play an integral role delivering fire protection services through public education, fire safety standards and enforcement, and emergency response.
- Minimum of 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR Level HCP Certificates
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check:
- A Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check, at the candidate's expense, is required to be submitted at the conditional employment offer stage and must be conducted no earlier than 30 days from the employment offer.
- Employment offers will only be made if the results of the candidate's checks, performed in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, are satisfactory.
- Valid Ontario Class "D" Driver's Licence with a "Z" endorsement and a clean driver's abstract:
- Candidates must provide confirmation of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Class 'D' Driver's Licence with a 'Z' endorsement at the conditional employment offer stage.
- A driver's abstract will be required at the conditional employment offer stage and must be dated no earlier than 30 days from the conditional offer date.
- Candidates must have a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior and those with six or more demerit points are ineligible for consideration.
- Please do not include proof of your driver's licence and abstract with your initial application.
- Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Services Certificate:
- Candidates to provide confirmation of a valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Services (CTS) Certificate, including Stage One, Two, Three, and the Swim Test certificates.
- Should a candidate not possess the required OFAI CTS Certificate at the time of application, as a condition of employment, the candidate will be required to obtain a valid OFAI CTS Certificate prior to start date, which will be scheduled by the Barrie Fire and Emergency Service Management Team and at the candidate's expense.
- Should a candidate's OFAI certificates expire prior to the employment offer, as a condition of employment, the candidate will be required to renew their certificates at the candidate's expense.
- Secondary School Diploma
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Fire Fighter Level I and II certified from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the Pro Board
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 472 Hazardous Materials Awareness certified from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the Pro Board, or equivalent
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR Level HCP Certificates
- College Diploma or University Degree in any discipline recognized by an accredited association, organization, or institution
- Trade Certification in any discipline recognized by the Ontario Colleges of Trades
- Emergency Medical Care Assistant (EMCA) Designation
- Not Applicable. Please note that applicants with previous part-time or full-time fire fighter experience will be given first consideration
- Previous experience as a part-time or full-time fire fighter in a municipal fire department
- Previous experience in emergency services, construction, trades mechanical, large vehicle operation, and/or military (Please define if experience is part-time, full-time, or seasonal)
- Demonstrated community service involvement (Please define role and commitment level, such as weekly, monthly, yearly)
- General knowledge of the following legislation, regulations, or requirements:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA);
- Ontario Highway Traffic Act;
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
- Ontario Human Rights Code;
- Workplace Safety Insurance Act;
- Electrical Safety Authority (ESA);
- Fire Protection and Prevention Act;
- Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA);
- Office of the Fire Marshal Guidelines;
- Fire Marshal's Directives;
- Provincial Offences Act;
- Ontario Building Code Act (OBCA);
- Ontario Fire Code; and
- Barrie Professional Fire Fighters Association (BPFFA)
- Working knowledge of the following principles and standards:
- Fire Fighting terminology, principles and practices; and
- Firefighting equipment and apparatus such as hydraulic equipment, pumps, self-contained breathing apparatus, communications equipment, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- maintain a high standard of public relations at all times
- perform in a manner which is consistent with corporate goals, vision, mission, and values
- work collaboratively in a group setting to achieve a desired objective, goal, or outcome
- shift back and forth between multiple activities while maintaining concentration
- exercise discretion and judgment when handling confidential, sensitive, and controversial information
- deal with difficult customers; diffuse emotionally-charged situations; and resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner
- exercise discretion and judgment in order to make sound decision under tight timelines or while managing multiple or conflicting priorities
- verbally communicate information and ideas in a manner that can be understood by others
- exert effort to lift, push, pull, or carry objects for long periods of time
- run, operate, maneuver, navigate, or drive vehicles or mechanized equipment
- Intermediate organizational, time management, administrative and written communications skills
- Intermediate analytical, problem solving, judgment, customer service, interpersonal, verbal communication, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Basic computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
TestReadyPro Aptitude Testing Service
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…