Firefighter – Windsor – 2019
The City of Windsor only accepts applications for employment opportunities that are posted/advertised.
The City of Windsor strives to protect all personal information submitted via the internet in response to job postings. We will not ask you to provide your social insurance number or banking or other financial information. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. We cannot guarantee that data in our system is immune from unauthorized access. Please have this in mind when you decide to respond to job postings.
Please refer to the "How To Apply" section in each job posting on how to submit an application with your resume and cover letter.
A separate application must be submitted for each position to which you are applying.
Late submissions will not be considered.
We encourage all attachments in your application to be in Word or PDF format.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to a Captain of the Windsor Fire & Rescue Services, this position responds in all types of weather and other less-than-ideal conditions to fire, rescue, hazardous materials emergencies, medical emergencies, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies as assigned; enters burning or contaminated buildings, structures and other areas to stabilize or control emergencies and/or perform rescues; Renders first aid, performs CPR and applies semi-automatic defibrillation to persons requiring these services; Must be able to lift various medical supplies, victims of unknown weight, tools, hoses, fire extinguishers and various firefighting equipment as required. Drives fire apparatus as assigned. Performs clean-up of site, fire fighting apparatus and equipment as well as areas of the fire station; Assists in salvage operations, fire prevention inspections, public education activities and other fire department programs where required. The incumbent will be required to attend regular training sessions to practice existing and new fire fighting skills, rescue methods, fire prevention or other specialized procedures. Attends court and conducts station tours. Participation in public relations projects involving visits and demonstrations, fire equipment, apparatus and techniques is a requirement of the position. The frequency of calls and duration of work episodes will vary considerably from shift to shift and from station to station. The Firefighter must, however, be prepared at all times for the most demanding of situations as they may arise at any moment. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency;
- Must complete a satisfactory medical assessment as outlined by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards 1582 for Fire Fighters at the Corporation’s expense and any other testing and/or examination, which may be required by the medical practitioner and/or determined by the City of Windsor;
- Must obtain a certificate indicating the successful completion of a Job Related Agility Test from an institution designated/recognized by the Corporation of the City of Windsor;
- Must successfully complete aptitude testing with a service provider designated by the Corporation of the City of Windsor;
- At the time of hire, the successful candidate must provide proof of a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Post-secondary education from a Community College or University in firefighting or other courses in the field of skilled trades, construction, medical or technical rescue will be considered an asset;
- Experience in the medical field or construction industry will be considered an asset;
- NFPA 1001 I & II certification would be considered an asset;
- An on-line application is available on the City of Windsor’s website, and must be completed and submitted by no later than 12:00 p.m. (NOON) on Wednesday, July 24, 2019 Internet access is available at your local library branch. Applicants who do not have access to a computer and a valid e-mail address may attend the Human Resources Department, located at 400 City Hall Square East, Suite 408, to complete an application which will be entered on-line and the applicant’s receipt will be issued at that time.