Firefighter – Wembley – 2023
The successful candidate will be a strong self-starter, adept at following direction and working to accomplish tasks for the day-to-day operations of the department with a safety-first attitude that leads by example and will foster relationships and positive growth of our service.
The Town of Wembley Fire Service is managed through a partnership between the Town of Wembley and the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service. Staff of the Town of Wembley Fire Services are supervised by the County’s Fire Administrative Team through direction by the Towns CAO.
The FTE Firefighter is responsible for planning and implementation through direction the operational activities of his/her department and helps manage fire department programs and training. While subject to the requirements of policies and procedures, and directions of a superior, the firefighter exercises considerable independence of judgment and action for the day-to-day activities and responses.
To be successful in this position, the following education, experience, knowledge, and skills are required.
You must remain or have the ability to become a resident of Wembley or reside within five kilometers of the fire station for the duration of employment to achieve the response time requirements of the role as indicated in the Employment Agreement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Volunteer firefighter training planning, entering of training records.
- Weekly training delivery, skills maintenance of firefighters.
- Some administrational duties as assigned, reporting, recording and documentation as required.
- Station cleaning, Apparatus inspections, maintenance of apparatus.
- Delivery of fire prevention program, tours, inspections.
- Retention and recruitment processes.
- Basic testing, maintenance and repair of equipment and tools.
- General housekeeping, routine duties, other duties as assigned.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Some leadership, management, motivational and interpersonal skills with ability to use tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment. Able to work effectively with all stakeholders.
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of department programs, develop business plans, correlate development with changing conditions within the department, and analyze and develop recommendations.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments and as required.
- Ability to provide leadership, motivation, mentoring and make sound decisions in directing the operations of personnel and equipment under emergency and non-emergency conditions.
- Ability to apply sound reasoning and judgment to non-standard situations to arrive at new and creative solutions to problems while maintaining safety of crews and personnel.
- Ability and willingness to train and respond to calls after hours as a volunteer member.
- Ability to successfully complete a physical abilities test (Skill related) and medical prior to completion of the probationary period (3-months).
- Ability to ensure all work-related information is kept confidential as per policy and in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Ability to comply with records management practices as stated in the Records Management Policy.
- NFPA 1001– Level I Interior Qualified
- Valid AB drivers’ license Class 5, with Air Brake Endorsement and acceptable driver’s abstract and ability to obtain a Class 3 license before probation period ends (3-months)
- Acceptable Criminal Records Check
- 1st Aid with AED and CPR with BLS Addition
- ICS 100
- NFPA 1051 – Wild land Fire Fighting
- BlueCard Command
- NFPA 1001- Level 2 Firefighter
- Advanced First Aid, or MFR/EMR
- Knowledge of Municipal firefighting practices and Occupational Health and Safety regulations related to firefighting.
- Class 3-4 Drivers license or higher
- NFPA 1002 – Chapter 4 (Driving) and Chapter 5 (Pump) are assets.
- Volunteer Firefighter Experience
- Submit Resume with cover letter to [email protected]
- Phone Interview
- In-person interview and station assessment (half business day at the station)
- Anticipated start date May 29th, 2023, but some flexibility is available.