Firefighter – Orillia – 2020
The City of Orillia is seeking qualified candidates for probationary fire fighter vacancies that may arise in the near future. The salary of a probationary fire fighter is $62,140 (2017 rate). We are looking for individuals possessing a strong sense of caring, who can remain calm and focused in emergency situations, and who are prepared to put their own lives on the line to save others. This physically demanding career will see you combat fires, perform rescue operations, and provide medical assistance in an emergency environment, as well as handle routine maintenance of fire fighting equipment and facilities. Candidates must have a strong desire to serve the community, a strong work ethic, and a strong sense of loyalty and duty. Candidates must have the ability and willingness to follow written and verbal instructions in English promptly and efficiently in a paramilitary organization. Probationary fire fighters must work 24 hour shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Provide proof pertaining to the number of years as a trained full-time Fire Fighter or a Volunteer Fire Fighter.
- Provide proof of successful completion of the six components of the Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening Test in one day (no earlier than October 18, 2019).
- Provide a copy of a valid unrestricted Ontario class D driver’s licence with Z endorsement, with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
- Provide proof of current standard First Aid and “Basic Rescuer” CPR (Level C) or better.
- Provide proof of successful completion of Grade 12 education in the Province of Ontario or equivalent.
- Provide a current original criminal record check with a vulnerable sector check (Must be within three months of the application deadline). Proof of application for such check will be acceptable with the application form.
- Be prepared to live within 30 minutes of City limits.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Be able to wear and use appropriate safety equipment and clothing.
- In order for your application to be considered:
- You must first successfully complete the Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening Test. Two test dates will be held: June 13, 2020 and June 20, 2020. (The associated transportation costs and testing fee ($480, including HST) will be the responsibility of the applicant.) To complete the test, you must pre-register by 4:00 p.m. on June 1, 2020. It is highly recommended that you apply as early as possible. To register for the 1) medical (includes vision and hearing tests), 2) CPAT, 3) clinical, 4) written aptitude, 5) swim test and 6) acrophobia test, please go to com and click on the ‘Registration’ tab. If you are unable to register online, contact Fire Fighter Services of Ontario Screening Services at [email protected]io.com. To book a CPAT orientation, or to purchase the CPS prep manual, please email [email protected]
- If applicants have valid certificates dated October 18, 2019 or newer (all six tests), please contact Fire Fighter Services of Ontario at [email protected] to have your results transferred to the City of Orillia at no charge. All six components must be completed in one
- Submit a completed Probationary Fire Fighter application form, which can be downloaded from our website, orillia.ca or picked up at the City of Orillia (address below), together with your resume and a copy of all documents indicated above by mail or in person between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday from June 15, 2020 to June 26, 2020. Please no emails, faxes or telephone calls.