Firefighter Operation – Toronto – 2019
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
Please read the important notes on the job posting before submitting an application. The Toronto Public Service conducts ongoing recruitment for possible future vacancies. Resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Apparatus Captain, the responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Immediately responds in a timely fashion and deals with fire, medical, rescue and other emergency and non-emergency related calls as required.
- Performs all emergency scene duties assigned such as but not limited to, firefighting, forcible entry, search and rescue, carrying hoses, climbing ladders, hooking hoses up to hydrants, breaking through walls and ceilings, protecting those in danger due to a fire, overhaul, technical rescues, emergency medical treatment and CPR hazardous materials scene support, property conservation, environmental conservation, and secures emergency scene for the safety of the public and other Firefighters.
- Drives/operates any apparatus/vehicles in accordance with policy and Highway Traffic Act (HTA).
- Operates all equipment utilized by TFS such as pumps, hoses, manual ladders, mechanical ladder, generators, automobile extrication equipment, etc.
- Conducts inspections and helps ensure an emergency scene is in compliance with fire/life safety guidelines, prior to leaving the scene.
- After returning from emergency scene cleans, inspects, and accounts for all equipment used and returns all equipment used to a state of readiness.
- A team player who works effectively with their crew and with other first responders, such as police and paramedics, maintaining a high standard of professionalism.
Non –Emergency Duties
- Cleans, inspects and maintains equipment and apparatus on a daily basis.
- Conducts full maintenance/safety check of vehicles and equipment.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance tasks to equipment and apparatus.
- Keeps fire station, equipment, quarters and grounds clean and orderly on a daily basis.
- Completes all required training and retraining as assigned within the prescribed time periods indicated.
- Participates in preplanning to familiarize themselves with immediate response area and new or unusual buildings in the station's district, and with streets and roads under construction.
- Educates the public about fire prevention and fire safety practices.
- Participates in Pre-Incident Fire Planning.
- Conducts fire safety inspections.
- Must understand and follow the Chain of Command at all times.
- Must be in compliance with uniform SOGs well-groomed, professional and presentable to the public.
- Must be, at all times, psychologically and physically prepared to respond to emergencies of any kind.
- Must be able to work at heights or in a confined space as required.
- Wears supplied safety equipment and uniforms.
- Must be accepting of others differences and able to live and work with other firefighters in close quarters throughout shifts, where firefighters depend and trust each other to perform their duties successfully whether it be sharing routine tasks at the fire station, or providing services at an emergency scene.
- Performs all work duties and activities in a safe and effective manner in accordance with City and TFS policies and procedures.
- Must be able to follow direction of a senior officer.
In addition to the above duties the successful candidates are required to:
- Continually maintain a high standard of professionalism, integrity, reliability and credibility, which are fundamental requirements for this position.
- Function as an integral member of the City of Toronto workforce to support corporate vision and mission statements.
- Function as an integral member of the Toronto Fire Service workforce to deliver and support Division specific vision and mission statements.
- Function as an integral member of the Toronto Fire Service emergency response team to deliver and support Division specific goals of emergency response and preparedness.
- 18 years of age or older
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess valid Ontario Driver’s Licence with DZ or equivalent
- Successful completion of all stages (1-3) of the OAFI Candidate Testing Services (as verified by possession of CTS Certificate) prior to the date of application submission
- Successful completion of the NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 plus NFPA 472 from a recognized post-secondary institution prior to the date of application submission (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
- Possession of a current and valid minimum level CPR HCP Certificate issued prior to the date of application submission (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
- Possession of a current and valid minimum level Standard First Aid Certificate, issued by a WSIB approved First Aid Trainer prior to the date of application submission (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
- Must work on a 24 hour shift schedule that involves working weekends and holidays, where you will work an assigned shift averaging 42 hours per week over a four week period
- Must be fit and able to handle the sustained, intense physical and psychological effort required to perform duties of this position
- Willingness and ability to work in extremely adverse and dangerous situations
- Mechanical aptitude
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions
- Oral and written communication skills
- Report writing ability
- Problem solving/analytical skills
- Interpersonal/Interaction skills when dealing with the public, Fire Services staff and all other levels of City personnel
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks/demands, as appropriate
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to work and positively interact within a diverse work environment
- Community service involvement
- Customer service skills
- Commitment to volunteerism and community involvement as demonstrated by experience volunteering in social/civil/community events and initiatives, non-profit organizations, counselling, crisis intervention
- Commitment to personal and professional development and in continuing training and education through ongoing learning
- Training and Experience operating heavy vehicles (for example: trucks, tractor trailers, buses)
- Multilingual skills preferred
- Before applying please review the above website carefully to ensure you understand the requirements of this opportunity
- Once you have confirmed that you have met all of the posted qualifications you are welcome to submit your application via TalentFlow. Do not apply until you have all of the required current and valid documentation for submission.
- You are not able to modify or reapply once your application has been submitted
- You only have one opportunity to apply during a six month recurring/ongoing recruitment period. Resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
- All documents must be current and valid on the date of your application submission. You may receive an email to submit documentation at a later date.
- We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on Pre Screening Questionnaire. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…