Firefighter – New Westminster – 2020
New Westminster Fire & Rescue Services is an organization that relies on the diversity, dedication, and the abilities of our people to achieve our vision of leading public safety initiatives, honouring our heritage, embracing new technologies, building partnerships and continued educational development.
New Westminster Fire & Rescue Services is looking for community-minded, positive, energetic and active individuals to join a workforce that is representative of the vibrant community we serve.
We are one of the oldest fire departments in British Columbia dedicated to being on the forefront of technology, fire suppression methods, medical care as well as dangerous goods response and technical rescue. Our emphasis on diversity, honour, respect and teamwork helps us to achieve our vision. By joining New Westminster Fire & Services you will be dedicated to providing fire protection to life and property as well as providing our rescue and safety service s.
On behalf of the City of New Westminster thank you for considering New Westminster Fire & Rescue Services and welcome to our firefighter recruitment process.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant). Work Visas are not accepted.
- High School Graduation or equivalent (i.e. G.E.D.).
- Minimum two years of accumulated work experience after high school (equivalent to full time hours).
- Valid Class 3 Driver's License with Air Brake Endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted ).
- Physically and psychologically fit for the position of firefighter and medically fit according to the standards set in NFPA 1582.
- A valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certificate issued within 12 months of the application closing date. We will also accept a Firefighter Applicant Physical Aptitude Evaluation by the University of Victoria, Occupational Fitness Testing, School of Exercise Science, Physical & Health Education ( www.firetest.ca ).
- At least 20/30 corrected binocular vision or at least 20/100 uncorrected binocular vision and satisfactory colour and peripheral vision.
- Normal hearing without artificial aids.
- No criminal convictions related to the job of firefighter.
- At time of hire, candidates must reside within a twenty-four (24) kilometer radius of New Westminster city limits.
- Fluent in English (reading and writing).
- Successful completion of an approved Firefighter Training program, NFPA 1001 Levels I & II or approved equivalent.
- Post-secondary education or completion of Level 1 Trades Apprenticeship. Military training and qualifications may be recognized as post-secondary credits on a case-by case basis.
- Valid BC Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board License in one of the following: First Responder Level Ill with AED and Spinal Endorsements or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) or Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) or Advance Care Paramedic (ACP) or other medical qualifications.
- Additional Fire Service related courses and fire related work experience (i.e. building construction, mechanical, heavy equipment operation, etc.)
- Ability to swim and related life-saving certificates.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Computer literacy (i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or other common software applications).
- Community involvement and volunteer experience.