Firefighter – Mississauga – 2020
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
Successful applicants, on completion of training, will work under the supervision of senior officers to combat fires, perform rescue work, administer medical assistance, conduct public education programs, inspect buildings for fire hazards, operate and maintain firefighting equipment and maintain fire stations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Medical Aid - administer First Aid and CPR, in addition to cardiac care using semi-automatic defibrillators.
Rescue Operations -Search and rescue; removing injured persons from motor vehicles, industrial accidents and confined spaces; water rescue.
Firefighting - handling hose lines, operating firefighting equipment using hand tools.
Public Education - presenting programs and attending public events to promote fire safety awareness.
Fire Prevention - inspecting commercial, industrial and residential buildings; enforcing the Provincial Building and Fire Codes and Municipal by-laws; preparing emergency pre-plans.
Hazardous Material Management - controlling toxic spills that may endanger the public or the environment.
Maintenance - daily upkeep of grounds, buildings and apparatus.
- Possess a valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificate including Stage One, Two and Three. Certificate must be valid throughout the duration of the entire recruitment process. Please visit www.ofai.ca for more information.
- Possess a National Fire Protection Association Firefighter Certification NFPA 1001 (I & II) & NFPA 472 or 1072 Awareness & Operations Level.
- Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or academic equivalent.
- Possess a valid and unrestricted Ontario’s Driver’s License, minimum Class “G” and a driving record that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga.
- Successful applicants must receive a Class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s License within 6 months of hire date.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” Level certificate.
- Excellent hearing without the use of artificial aids.
- Ability to swim proficiently.
- Effective English communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and precisely in stressful situations.
- Criminal Record Search, Vulnerable Sector Check (Level Three) that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga from the Police Service where you reside at the time of the interview.
- Successfully complete medical, practical and swimming tests during recruitment process.
- Be willing to work shifts on a rotating basis.
- Be able to handle intense and sustained physical effort necessary to safely perform firefighting duties.
- Previous experience in Fire suppression, construction & mechanical trades, emergency services (e.g. Paramedic, Police Officer), Military/Coast Guard, fire prevention, large vehicle operation, and/or operating heavy equipment
- Community College diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technician/Technology Program
- Possess Fire and Life Safety Educator NFPA 1035 and Fire Inspector & Plan Examiner NFPA 1031.
- Fluency in a second language or sign language
- Trades Qualification(s)
- Lifeguard (NLS Certification)
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) Training
- Occupational Health and Safety Training
- Medical, Ski Patrol or Other Professional Emergency Service Certification
- Coaching/Teaching/Counselling/Recreation Leadership
- Volunteer and/or community involvement
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…