Firefighter – City of Burlington – 2021
A great career is closer than you think. Come work for the City of Burlington, where you’ll be joining an innovative and progressive workplace focused on building a 21st century city that respects the diversity of our residents, visitors and employees; and prioritizes continuous opportunities for you to learn and grow.
IAFF Local 1552
Full Time Permanent
The Burlington Fire Department is a team of highly trained and caring professionals who provide vital services that increase community safety and quality of life. We are currently seeking candidates to fill the role of Probationary Firefighter.
The recruitment process is lengthy and involves many steps. It is important for candidates to read all directions and be prepared for each step. Interested candidates should review the 2021-2022 Fire Recruitment Guide.
Duties and Responsibilities
Through this physically demanding career successful applicants will respond to fires, motor vehicle accidents and medical calls, and provide technical rescue services in areas such as hazardous materials, high-level rope, and ice/water. Firefighters are also involved in delivering public education and prevention initiatives to the community and are responsible for routine maintenance of stations and equipment.
To be considered for this position, you must meet the following mandatory qualifications:
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada
• Have a grade 12 or equivalent education
• Be able to provide a criminal background check indicating you have not been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted, including a vulnerable sector search (proof of this is not required until conditional offer of employment)
• Hold a valid Class ‘D’ Ontario driver’s license with ‘Z’ endorsement
• Have current First Aid and CPR certificates, minimum level C
• Successfully completed NFPA 1001 level 1 & level 2
• Successfully completed ALL SIX COMPONENTS of the Firefighter Services of Ontario Screening Test. Applicants must apply online and register for the Firefighter Screening Test with Firefighter Services of Ontario.
Applicants meeting all of the above mandatory qualifications and successful completion of all six components at Firefighter Services of Ontario must provide:
2) Proof of education
3) First Aid/CPR certificates
4) Proof of Class 'D' Ontario drivers license with ‘Z’ endorsement
5) Proof of completion of NFPA 1001 level 1 & level 2
6) Proof of any preferred qualifications as described in the Recruitment Guide to Firefighter Services of Ontario at the time of their appointment. Firefighter Services of Ontario will forward all information onto the City of Burlington.
To complete the Firefighter Services of Ontario Screening Test, you must pre-register with Firefighter Services of Ontario by January 4, 2022. To register for the 1) Clinical Evaluation 2) CPS Aptitude Examination 3) CPAT 4) Tread Water Test 5) Medical Assessment (Hearing & vision screening) and 6) Acrophobia Test please email [email protected]
This position requires the successful candidate to provide a clear criminal record check and/or vulnerable sector check at their own expense.
Salary - $58,369
Closing Date January 4, 2022
To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Please note that applications are only accepted online. If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Burlington accommodates the individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call us at 905-335-7602 or email us at: [email protected] if you require accommodation to ensure your equal participation in the recruitment and selection process.