Firefighter – Chestermere – 2018
As a member of the Fire team, this position provides emergency fire and prevention and rescue expertise, providing excellent service to members of the community.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Emergency response
- Community outreach
- Equipment operations and maintenance
- Administrative duties as assigned
- Act as Senior Firefighter when required
This position provides firefighting expertise in the attainment of annual goals and initiatives within the broader framework of the City/Department’s annual and 4 year Strategic and Business Plans and associated legislation and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide firefighting expertise in:
- Emergency response, e.g., respond to and assist in the mitigating of all types of incident scenes and emergencies; administer first aid; prepare log books; maintain all log books and other records
- Inspections, e.g., conduct fire inspections and investigations
- Community outreach, e.g., participate in community safety and accident prevention projects
- Equipment operation and maintenance, e.g., operate, maintain and perform minor repairs to firefighting equipment, including aquatic response boat and sea-doo; control and extinguish fires using manual and power equipment (axes, water hoses, aerial ladders, hydraulic equipment, firefighting chemicals); operate pumper and ladder trucks, rescue vehicles, aerial, water tenders, communications equipment, SCBA, alarm monitoring systems; custodial and light maintenance services at fire stations and surrounding
- As required, participate in the assessment of the current and future needs of the Fire team, gathering input and
- Represent the Fire team internally and externally, g., participate in investigations; respond to, and assist in emergencies locally or regionally.
- As required, participate in networking with stakeholders, e.g., communicate with other communities to develop mutual aid
- As required, participate in the enhancement and implementation of City and Department Policies and Procedures within legislative, regulatory requirements and best
- Provide assistance to the Captain on sensitive
- Participate as a member of the Chestermere Emergency Response team in preparing and enabling the community to respond in the event of a local disaster or regional disaster.
- Grade 12 or GED supplemented by recognized technical training
- Criminal Record Check, Child Intervention Check and Vulnerable Sector Check to the satisfaction of the City.
- The following courses and certificates are required:
- NFPA 1001 Level II Certification (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
- HazMat Awareness & Operations (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
- NFPA 1002 – Pump A
- Standard First Aid CPR C and AED certifications (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)
- Unrestricted Alberta Class 2Q (Commercial Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement - Graduated Driver’s License is not accepted), and five (5) year driver’s abstract with minimal infractions within 30 days
- Pleasure Craft Licence
- Successful hires will be asked to complete a satisfactory job related medical examination and VO2 Max as a condition of employment
- NFPA 1002 – Aerial Apparatus
- Basic Fire Safety Codes Officer (BFSCO)
- NFPA 1041 Level 1 – Fire Service Instructor
- ICS 100
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR). Additional education / certification considered an asset (Have a look at our learning center for training in your area.)