Firefighter – Central York – 2020
Firefighting entails the combating, extinguishing and prevention of fire, and the preservation of life and property.
A career Firefighter is responsible for performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable hazard. Routine duties also include the maintenance of firefighting equipment and Fire Department property, and carrying out specific orders and directions received from senior officers.
- NFPA 1001-Firefighter I and II certified, education and training program from an accredited institution;
- Valid Certificates from the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. - Candidate Testing Program for Stages One, Two, and Three at the time of application; Valid Swim Test Certificate if selected for interview.
- Must have completed a minimum of grade 12 or equivalent as approved by the Ministry of Education
- Must be able to understand and communicate clearly in verbal and written English
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada (must be either a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, landed immigrant)
- Must not have a criminal record unless a pardon has been granted under the Criminal Record Act of Canada
- Must possess a valid Ontario Drivers License Class “D” with “Z” endorsement at the time of application
- Must possess a current Standard First Aid and CPR-C, or higher, Certificate and be current throughout the duration of the recruitment process
- Candidates must meet the vision requirements as outlined in Chapter Six of NFPA 1582: Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments.
- Permitted hearing loss is no greater than 40 decibels, unaided, in either ear at 500 Hz/db, 1000 Hz/db, 2000 Hz/db and 3000 Hz/db.
- Availability to work shifts that may vary (days, nights, weekends, statutory holidays); ability to work extended hours when required as a result of emergency responses; ability to work 24-hour shift
- Pre-service firefighter education and training program certificate
- Additional Education
- Firefighter experience
- Trade apprenticeship or certification
- Working experience
- Medical training or experience (i.e. Paramedic, Nursing etc)
- Other relevant specialized training, qualifications or experience
- Demonstrated community service and/or volunteer involvement
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…
This one-on-one personal career coaching will assist in a stronger approach during this journey. Serving recruit firefighter candidates across Canada, Ontario and the GTA; Firehouse Training specializes in firefighter and fire service coaching, consulting and career building.
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…