Firefighter – Calgary – 2022
Our firefighters are community-minded leaders who are committed to public service, and exemplify pride, professionalism, teamwork and respect. We are coachable and customer focused. Do you have what it takes to join us?
Learn more about the process and requirements below.
Applications will be accepted November 1 - 30, 2022
In-person Information Sessions will be offered on the following dates:
Oct. 4, 2022
Oct. 11, 2022 - Do you identify as a Racialized person and are interested in firefighting as a career. Join us to learn about the career and hear from firefighters with lived experience.
Oct. 18, 2022 - Do you identify as a women and are interested in firefighting as a career. Join us to learn about the career and hear from firefighters with lived experience.
To register for an in-person information session, follow the links above.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency
- Have a valid Class 5 driver's license or provincial/territorial equivalent without a Graduated Driver’s License (GDL) status and with less than 7 demerit points
- Have been granted a pardon or record suspension for any criminal convictions.
- Meet all our immunization requirements
- Have a maximum of one illegal soft drug use in the past year and a maximum of three illegal soft drug uses in the past 3 years. Candidates must have had zero hard drug use in the past three years.
- The medical certification required is Advanced First Aid.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification at the Health Care Provider (HCP) level or a Basic Life Support (BLS) (must be valid at the time of hire).
- Alberta Class 1, 2, or 3 driver's license with Air Brake (Q) endorsement, or provincial equivalent (must not have expired).
You do not need your medical certification, CPR-HCP/BLS or professional driver’s license before you apply, however it will make your application more competitive.
You will need these qualifications in order to qualify for a Conditional Job Offer. Please note these standards may be changed due to operational requirements
You do not need these qualifications to apply, however, they will strengthen your application.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma (if you went to school outside of North America, you must provide an assessment from the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada), or a journeyman certificate
- Firefighter training
- Experience as a full-time firefighter; including military, seasonal, forestry, paid on-call, or volunteer
- Experience in Emergency Services or uniformed Public Servant roles (Law Enforcement, EMS, Military, Corrections, Park Ranger, Peace Officer)
- Cadet Program experience (Fire, Police, Sea, Air, Army, etc)
- Volunteering and/or community involvement (unpaid positions not including firefighting)
- Fluent in languages other than English