Firefighter – Caledon – 2020
The Caledon Fire and Emergency Services department is responsible for ensuring the safety of all Town residents through putting out fires and educating the public on fire safety.
As one of the largest primarily volunteer Fire Services in Ontario, this department prides itself on protecting life, property and the environment. Fire and Emergency Services is comprised of over 290 personnel working out of nine fire stations.
Fire and Emergency Services staff provide fire prevention education, inspect public premises to ensure that buildings comply with the Ontario Fire Code, respond to motor vehicle collisions to provide extrication and rescue, in addition to providing fire prevention, fire control and emergency medical care.
To be considered for this permanent full-time opportunity, candidates must have the following training, experience and abilities:
- Certified firefighter with the Province of Ontario (with proof as outlined below)
- Successful completion of Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 testing through the OFAI (with proof as outlined below)
- Minimum 2 years of firefighting experience
- Satisfactory passing of a vulnerable sector check
- Valid DZ driver’s licence in good standing with no more than 3 demerit points
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a team environment and follow direction
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills; ability to make critical decisions quickly
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
Standard First Aid, CPR and AED certification is considered an asset.
1. Submitting your Application
Candidates are required to submit/upload:
- Candidate Testing Services Certificates for Stage 1, 2, and 3 through the OFAI
(valid through to closing date)
- A driver's abstract, displaying no more than 3 demerit points
Candidates are also required to submit any one of the following:
- Proof of completing a community college Firefighter Training and Education Program and a letter from OFMEM testing Unit indicating success on the Provincial Fire Service Test, or
- An OFM Firefighter Certificate of Achievement, or Firefighter Certificate of Equivalency, or
- Proof of successful completion of a NFPA 1001 (Firefighter 1 and II) from an accredited institution or having met the requirements for Equivalence from the OFMEM
**Note: All required documentation and testing is to be provided at the candidates' expense. The Town will not reimburse any candidate for testing, successful or otherwise, as part of this recruitment process.
2. The Interview Process
Only applicants advancing to the Interview Stage will be contacted. Candidates selected for an interview will be provided 2 days notice of their interview date.
**Preference will be given to volunteer firefighters with Caledon Fire & Emergency Services. This preference will be given to those candidates who demonstrate the utmost level of commitment to their volunteer service.
3. Final Selection
Candidates successful in the Interview Stage of this recruitment will be invited to provide:
- 3 professional references
- A completed vulnerable sector check, completed at their own expense, that demonstrates a satisfactory police record