Fire Prevention Officer – Brampton – 2019
Are you invested in community building? Are you able to critically think and problem solve your way through a challenge within a team? Are you defined by the empathy you show towards other? We want to hear from you.
Bring your talents and step into a unique role serving our diverse community where the opportunity to make a positive difference is endless.
Our Brampton Fire and Emergency Services team is driven by exceptional service delivery and our behaviours and decisions are guided by our core values of courage, trust, compassion and integrity.
As a valued member of the team, you will feel the pride of values-driven achievements and experience life-long supportive relationships. Be part of a fast-paced and rewarding environment where you can do your best work and inspire results for the citizens of Brampton.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Division Chief, Fire Prevention this position:
- Conducts inspections and enforces the Ontario Fire Code and other relevant legislation and standards;
- Produces and maintains comprehensive documentation and reports related to all activities;
- Acts as an assistant to the Fire Marshal under the provisions of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act (FPPA).
- Participates in fire safety education programs, as assigned;
- Initiates the Fire Code enforcement process and acts as a witness in court or other proceedings as required;
- Inspects and tests various fire protection systems;
- Reviews various site plans as assigned with respect to code compliance and fire safety;
- Assist in providing training and guidance to other Fire and Emergency Services staff as required;
- Conducts fire investigations as assigned.
- Grade 12 education or equivalent secondary education as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education
- Ontario College Advanced Diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technology or equivalent;
- Minimum 2-5 years experience in fire protection inspection, installation, maintenance and/or enforcement or a related field;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Building Code;
- Demonstrated reliability;
- Demonstrated experience in the design, function, installation, maintenance and operation of the following systems: sprinkler systems, standpipe and hose systems, fire alarm and voice communication systems, commercial cooking equipment ventilation and various fire protection systems;
- Demonstrated customer service and public relations skills;
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable;
- Must possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary, Class “G” Ontario Driver’s License
- Must be able to lift and stand for extended periods of time;
- Must be willing and able to wear all required uniform clothing and/or personal protective equipment as assigned/required;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Must be available to work shift work and variable hours.
- Enforcement and court prosecution skills
- Knowledge of chemistry including knowledge of flammable and combustible liquids
- Fire fighting background