Career Firefighter – Niagara Falls – 2020
This is a skilled position entailing firefighting, rescue and other related emergency services. A fire fighter participates in programs for the prevention of fires and the saving of life and property. A firefighter is responsible for rapidly, efficiently and safely performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable hazard. The work includes routine duties in the maintenance of fire fighting vehicles, equipment and fire department facilities. While specific orders and directions are received from an officer in the normal course of maintenance duties and firefighting, considerable independence of judgment and action is allowed in circumstances of extreme urgency where referral to a superior for instructions is not possible. A Fire Fighter is required to have a thorough working knowledge of all emergency equipment including emergency apparatus.
Mandatory qualifications are as follows:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Class “D” Ontario Driver’s Licence with “Z” Endorsement or equivalent
- Original Driver's Abstract required (Issued after September 1, 2019 will be accepted)
- Original Criminal Record Check required (Issued after September 1, 2019 will be accepted)
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR (HCP - Health Care Professional) Certificates
- Successfully complete, in one day, the Aptitude Test (CPS), Clinical Assessment, Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), Acrophobia Test and Fifteen (15) minute Tread Water Test as provided by Firefighter Services of Ontario.
- Be willing to meet all employment conditions as required by the City of Niagara Falls
Preferred qualifications are as follows:
- Post-Secondary Fire Services and Medical education.
- Sound knowledge, gained through either formal training and/or practical experience, of firefighting principles, practices and equipment.
- Sound knowledge of the principles, techniques and practices of, and materials used in, building construction.
- Familiarity with equipment and apparatus related to firefighting such as hydraulic equipment, pumps, self-contained breathing apparatus, communications equipment etc.
- Strong leadership and administrative skills, superior interpersonal skills, and the ability to work cooperatively as a member of an effective and professional team.