Career Firefighter – Abbotsford – 2021
At the City of Abbotsford our people are our greatest asset. We offer a wide range of diverse, stimulating and rewarding career opportunities that support and recognize high levels of performance. In Abbotsford, we work strongly to create a challenging and rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We invite you to become part of a place that has strong corporate and organizational values, rewarding career paths, challenging opportunities and an engaging and dynamic team to work with.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent.
- NFPA 1001 level 2 with Hazmat and Operations preferred
- Current First Responder Level 3 license or greater inclusive of Spinal Endorsement and AED. (EMR or PCP Licensing)
- Valid Class 3 B.C. Driver’s Licence with Airbrake endorsement.
- A Commitment to volunteerism, community involvement, personal and professional development.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent public relations, team building and organization skills.
The recruitment process for the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service consists of eight (8) different stages.
- Stage 1 - Application and Pre-Screening- (Nov 25 – Dec 19)
- Stage 2 - Written Exam (January 16)
- Stage 3 - Occupational Skills Assessment Day -1 (Jan 22 & 23)
- Run, Swim, Skill Stations.
- Stage 4 – Occupational Skills Assessment Day-2 (Jan 29 & 30)
- Interview, presentation, Skill Stations
- Stage 5 - Reference Checks, Police Information Check & Vulnerable Sector Search
- Stage 6 - Fire Chief Interview (Feb 12 & 13)
- Stage 7 - Conditional Offer (Feb 21)
- Stage 8 - Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation & CPAT (CPAT- Feb 26, Medical Evaluation- Feb 21- Mar 7)
All dates are tentative and may be slightly adjusted throughout the process.
Estimated Start Date is May 9, 2022.
All applicants will be notified during the process if they will be moving on to the next stage via email. It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure email addresses are valid and up-to-date and computer firewalls/security is set up to accept emails from the City. It is the candidate’s responsibility to check emails on a regular basis as there are deadlines issued for scheduling. All testing stages are in person, and cannot be faxed, emailed or taken online.