Probationary Firefighter – Ajax – 2022
Ajax Fire & Emergency Services will be recruiting for firefighter positions in 2022. We will be establishing a list of qualified firefighters to join our team. We are seeking highly motivated community-minded leaders who are committed to public service, that exemplify professionalism, compassion, teamwork and respect.
Duties and Responsibilities
In this position, you will respond to: fire emergencies to perform rescues, protect property and the environment, medical emergencies to provide emergency patient care and assistance, motor vehicle emergencies to provide scene, vehicle and patient stabilization, and other specialized emergencies and calls for public assistance. You will assist with public education, participate in training and maintain fire apparatus, equipment, and fire stations. In addition, you will fulfil the duties of call-taker/dispatcher as required.
• Successful completion of NFPA1001 Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications Levels 1 and 2 (IFSAC and Pro Board certified)
• Valid, current and successful completion of York University Fitness Assessment or Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Service - Stages 1 to 3 (all parts must be valid until the closing date)
• Up-to-date certification in both Standard First Aid/CPR, Level HCP (within 12 months prior to the closing date)
• Current and unrestricted Ontario driver’s licence – minimum Class DZ – (you will be required to provide proof of your valid DZ licence and a satisfactory driver’s abstract upon an offer of employment being made to you by the Town)
• Ability to speak, read and write English fluently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding conditions
• Ability to handle periods of intense and sustained physical, mental and emotional stress
• Ability to work well as part of a team and have strong interpersonal and customer service skills
• Must be able and required to work 24 hour shifts, including weekends and holidays
• Ability to provide a current criminal reference check, including vulnerable sector search, satisfactory to the Town of Ajax (upon being hired, this must be received prior to start date)
• Legal entitlement to work in Canada
• All Town of Ajax employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as per the Town’s policy
• Experience and training in specialized programs such as ice/water rescue, vehicle extrication, technical rescue, firefighter survival, rapid intervention training, pumper operations, and aerial operations (outside of the ‘pre-service’ program)
• Completion of the emergency medical responder (EMR) program
• Demonstrated experience as an active firefighter with a municipal, military, federal and/or industrial fire service
• Demonstrated computer skills
• Fluency in a second language or sign language
• To be eligible to participate in this competition, the following process must be followed:
1. In order to apply, you must submit an application fee via e-transfer of $100 + HST ($113) to [email protected] and include “Firefighter Application Fee” in the message field. You will receive a confirmation from the bank with a reference number. Please keep this as proof of payment. If you have any transaction issues with the payment, please contact [email protected]
2. Go to www.ajax.ca/careers and apply for the “Firefighter” position. During the application process, you will be asked to provide your reference number from your proof of payment receipt. Please note that your reference number must match the reference number on file or your application will not be considered.
3. Attach your cover letter and resume only. Please note that cover letters and resumes are only being accepted online and you will receive an email confirmation that your cover letter and resume was received by the Town. If selected to move ahead in the process, you will receive an email from Human Resources and you will be asked to email copies of all your qualifications for verification (PDF format is recommended).
• Applicants must possess all necessary certifications outlined in the posting at time of application. Applicants who are in the process of obtaining the required certifications will not be considered.
• You are responsible for all additional costs (i.e. certificates, travel, testing, criminal reference check) throughout the recruitment process.
• Your online application will be screened by the selection committee and will be based on meeting the minimum qualifications listed in the job posting.
• If the documents are not received on time or are not valid, the candidate shall cease to be considered for the position.
• Candidates who are successful in the initial screening process, will move ahead to the next stage of the recruitment process.
• Candidates are advised that written, oral, practical and psychological testing will form part of the selection process.
• Please note: only those candidates who are selected to move ahead in the process will be contacted.
Deadline to apply:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 p.m. on January 28, 2022.
Fire Fighter recruitments attract a high volume of applicants and as a result the Town is unable to respond to individual inquiries during the recruitment process and or provide individual feedback.
Please note that emailed resumes submitted through other job boards (i.e. Indeed, OAFTO) are not accepted, you MUST apply directly through the Town's website and pay the application fee.
Applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes (one that you check on a regular basis). Please ensure that you check your junk or spam mail regularly to ensure you receive any correspondence.
As per the Town’s Vaccination policy, all Town of Ajax employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; proof of vaccination status will be requested as a condition of employment upon hire. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Town’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require during the process.