Probationary Firefighter – St.Thomas – 2022
Under the general supervision of a Captain, this position controls, extinguishes and prevents fires, protects life, property, the economy and the environment through rescue and specialized emergency response. Responds to motor vehicle collisions for the purposes of stabilizing patients, vehicles and the emergency scene, and if necessary, extricating patients from the vehicles, responds to medical emergencies, provides public safety education services, inspects buildings and maintains St. Thomas Fire Department (STFD) buildings, grounds, apparatus and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to alarms and participates in all phases of firefighting, medical responses, rescues specialized responses (hazardous materials, water/ice rescue, confined space) and all other emergency operations.
- Completes all operations in a manner specified by STFD operational guidelines and standard operating policies and maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Safely drives and operates departmental vehicles, apparatus and equipment in compliance with provincial legislation and corporate/department guidelines and procedures, including pumping operations and high-level operations using elevated devices (such as aerial/ladder trucks).
- Fills the task level roles of a firefighter in the STFD Incident Command System and is able to fill support roles such as: accountability, entry control, safety officer, rehabilitation and rapid intervention and performs all other assigned tasks at the emergency scene.
- Provides emergency patient care in compliance with applicable standards and/or Base Hospital requirements.
- Participates in the inspection and maintenance of all apparatus and equipment, including post emergency maintenance and regularly scheduled inspections and maintenance.
- Participates in all fire station maintenance activities.
- Participates in all training sessions, post fire evaluations and critical incident stress debriefings.
- Maintains a high level of physical fitness and promotes a healthy lifestyle and participates in health/wellness programming.
- Complies with all department and corporate rules, regulations, responsibilities, policies, codes of conduct and procedures and any and all federal, provincial and municipal legislation at all times.
- Promotes the City of St. Thomas Fire Department brand, maintains a positive public image and a high level of professionalism at all times.
- Ensures that uniform, station wear and firefighting clothing are properly maintained and worn in accordance with departmental policies.
- Accurately completes all STFD reports as required in a timely manner.
- Fulfils the role of Radio / Telephone Operator when required and receives and records telephone fire alarms and other emergency calls and assists in dispatching proper apparatus and equipment.
- Participates in all public safety education, fire prevention programming and special events as required, including Fire Company Home Education Programming and Commercial Inspections.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of streets, roads and occupancy locations throughout the City.
- Responds to emergency callback requests when paged.
- Assists with program analysis and equipment evaluations upon requests.
- Mentors and/or trains new recruit firefighters.
- Successfully completes examinations and performance evaluations, as required.
- Maintains all required certifications.
- This position must be compliant with all provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, related to “Duties of a Worker.”
- Performs other such related duties as may be assigned.
- 18 years of age or older
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- An Ontario secondary school diploma (Grade 12) or equivalent
- NFPA 1001; Firefighter Level 1 and 2 Certification (IFSAC or Pro Board seal, grandfathering)
- NFPA 472 or NFPA 1072; Awareness and Operations (IFSAC or Pro Board seal)
- Must possess valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services certificates, including Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three. Certificates must be completed and valid at time of application and at time of conditional offer. If you have any questions regarding the Candidate Testing Program, please contact OFAI directly at 905-426-6756 or [email protected]
- Valid minimum current Standard First Aid certificate and a valid CPR for Health Care Providers (Level HCP) certificate. Certificates must be completed and valid at time of application and conditional job offer.
- Possess and maintain a minimum valid Class "DZ" driver's license with a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
- Be available and able to work a 24-hour shift schedule that involves working any day of the week, including weekends and holidays, to fulfill shift requirements
- Must be in excellent physical health and be capable of performing the demanding physical requirements of the position.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly in English, both oral and written in stressful situations
- Ability to cope in high stress situations
- Ability to work as a team member
- Ability to obtain and provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record search
- Professional and/or Volunteer Firefighting Experience
- Completion of related NFPA Courses
- Emergency Experience (i.e. Paramedic, Emergency Nursing, etc.)
- University Degree or College Diploma; College Certificate
- Trade Apprenticeship or Certification (i.e. Electrician, Plumber, Mechanic, Construction)
- Demonstrated consistent community service and/or volunteer involvement
- Other relevant specialized training, qualifications or experience
- Applicants may be required to present original documents during the selection/hiring process.
- Applicants are responsible for all costs (i.e.: certificates, testing, travel, etc.) throughout the recruitment process.
- Please be advised that the City of St. Thomas uses both email and phone to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include a current phone number as well as current email address. This e-mail address should be checked regularly and should accept emails from unknown users. It is imperative that applicants check their email and voicemail regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the job competition and your application will be removed. Please ensure you provide an accurate email and you check your junk folder to ensure you do not miss any email communications.
- Firefighter recruitments attract a high volume of applicants. The City is unable to respond to individual inquiries during or after the recruitment process. Please do not call the City, Human Resources or the Fire department.
- If you have issues submitting your application on-line through Dayforce, please email your inquiry to [email protected]
- We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. By submitting your application, you are authorizing the City of St. Thomas to contact OFAI to verify your qualifications.
- Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection.
- Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. The City of St. Thomas is an equal opportunity employer.
- Applications and all required documentation will only be accepted on-line through the links provided. The City of St. Thomas will not accept applications delivered in person, by mail or fax.