Probationary Firefighter – Oak Bay & Esquimalt – 2019
The District of Oak Bay and the Township of Esquimalt are currently jointly recruiting for firefighters. Successful applicants will be placed on an eligibility list for a two year period to fill future vacancies in both municipalities.
We are looking for suitably qualified, dynamic women and men to join our teams. Our ideal candidates will be community-minded, physically fit, positive, energetic, active, good team players, enjoy working with the public and are looking for a fulfilling career.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be at least 19 years of age;
- Grade 12 Certificate or GED equivalency;
- Class 3 driver’s license and air brake endorsement;
- Safe driving behaviour as demonstrated in an applicant’s current driver’s abstract;
- First Responder or Occupational First Aid Level 3;
- No criminal convictions related to the job of Firefighter;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Volunteer and community service experience;
- Physically fit for the position of Firefighter and medically fit according to the standards set in NFPA 1582;
- Completion of the Firefighter Applicant Fitness Evaluation by the University of Victoria, to be completed within a maximum of 12 months from date of application. NOTE: in order to ensure consistency, we will only be accepting fitness evaluations completed through the University of Victoria; and,
- Completion of an accredited (IFSAC or ProBoard) NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 program.
If you are interested in this opportunity to become a firefighter, please refer to one of our websites and complete the application form, including a resume and cover letter, and attach copies of all required documents.
As outlined in the information package, each submission must include:
- Application form;
- Resume and cover letter;
- Grade 12 certificate or GED equivalency;
- Copy of eye examination (dated within 12 months of the date of application);
- Copy of hearing examination/audiogram (dated within 12 months of the date of application);
- Copy of WorkSafeBC Occupational First Aid, Level 3 Certificate or First Responder Level III Certification or equivalent;
- Driver’s Abstract (dated within 30 days of date of application);
- Copy of NFPA 1001 level 1 & 2 (IFSAC or Pro Board);
- Copies of all fire service courses and certificates; and,
- Copy of the Firefighter Applicant Fitness Evaluation by the University of Victoria (UVIC), dated within twelve months of date of application. Note that only evaluations completed by UVIC will be accepted.