Probationary Firefighter – Brantford – 2021
The Brantford Fire Department is recruiting team players to join our elite group of proud, highly trained and respected professionals who are dedicated to protecting the lives and properties of the residents of Brantford. Under the direction of a firefighting Captain, you will be responsible for combating fires, conducting rescue operations and providing medical assistance in emergency environments. You will conduct routine maintenance of fire apparatus, equipment and facilities while focusing on additional opportunities for community service through the delivery of fire and life safety education and conducting in-service inspections of properties. You will also be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Provide proof of completion of Grade 12 (OSSD or transcript or GED accepted) - please attach proof of grade 12 with application
- Provide proof of NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II certifications from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Services Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or Pro Board (must be complete with seals)
- Provide proof of a current Emergency First Responder (EFR) including a valid "Basic Rescuer" CPR certificate (Level C); (must be valid until December 31, 2021).
- Provide proof of a valid "D" class driver's license with a "Z" endorsement.
- Provide a clean driver's abstract (dated within 30 days) to the Corporation at the time of a conditional job offer.
- Possess superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively as a member of an effective and professional team.
- Have a strong desire to serve the community
- Possess the ability and willingness to follow instructions promptly and efficiently and have a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow rules, regulations and procedures.
- Have the ability to acquire a general knowledge of hazardous materials, poisonous substances, arson detection, life safety systems and other job related subjects and be familiar with the procedures associated with these subjects.
- Must have the ability to make decisions and react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
- Must possess the ability to swim, work within confined spaces and high places. Must be able to work rotating shifts including weekends and nights.
- University degree in any discipline (copy to be included with resume/application)
- Community college diploma in any discipline (copy to be included with resume/application)
- EMCA designation (copy to be included with resume/application)
- Trade certification in any discipline recognized by the Ontario College of Trades (copy to be included with resume/application)
- Technical rescue training (copy to be included with resume/application)
- Previous experience in fire suppression, specify if the experience is full-time or part-time
- Previous experience with fire prevention, law enforcement, construction, trades, mechanical, emergency medical, large vehicle operation (please define if experience is full-time, part-time and/or seasonal/student)
- Community service involvement (define role and commitment level - ex; weekly, monthly, annually)
- A Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check is required to be submitted at the time of conditional job offer (at the candidates expense)
- Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, candidates must be able to obtain (at the candidate s expense) a valid York University fitness certificate and may be required to perform a swim test.
- Employment offers will only be made if the results of the candidate's Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check performed in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code are satisfactory.
- All expenses associated with the recruitment process are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Qualified candidates must complete the online job application form and must upload a cover letter, resume and copies of all required qualifications and credentials (as noted above) as one (1) PDF file with a maximum size of 10MB.
- Salary: $58,408 to $97,347/year (2018 rates)
- Candidates invited to participate in written testing will receive an invitation by email. CPS Testing will take place virtually between May 24 and May 29, 2021.
- Questions about the recruitment process or the collection of information should be directed to the Human Resources Department via Firefighter Recruitment Questions online form or call 519-759-4222, extension 5153. Please do not telephone the Brantford Fire Department.