Probationary Firefighter – Ajax – 2020
Ajax Fire & Emergency Services requires highly motivated, capable individual(s) to join our effectively trained and professional team of Firefighters.
In this position, you will respond to: fire emergencies to perform rescues, protect property and the environment, medical emergencies to provide emergency patient care and assistance, motor vehicle emergencies to provide scene, vehicle and patient stabilization, and other specialized emergencies and calls for public assistance. You will assist with public education, participate in training and maintain fire apparatus, equipment, and fire stations. In addition, you will fulfil the duties of call-taker/dispatcher as required.
- Successful completion of NFPA1001 Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications Levels 1 and 2 (IFSAC and Pro Board certified)
- Valid, current and successful completion of York University Fitness Assessment or Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Service - Stage 3 Part 2 (valid until posting closing date)
- Up-to-date certification in both Standard First Aid/CPR, Level HCP (within 12 months prior to the posting closing date)
- Current and unrestricted Ontario driver’s license – minimum Class DZ – (you will be required to provide proof of your valid DZ licence and clear driver’s abstract upon an offer of employment being made to you by the Town)
- Ability to speak, read and write English fluently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding conditions
- Ability to handle periods of intense and sustained physical, mental and emotional stress
- Ability to work well as part of a team and have strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Shall be required to work 24 hour shifts, weekends and holidays
- Ability to provide a current criminal reference check, including vulnerable sector search, satisfactory to the Town of Ajax (upon being hired, this must be received prior to start date)
- Legal entitlement to work in Canada
- Experience and training in specialized programs such as ice/water rescue, vehicle extrication, technical rescue, firefighter survival, rapid intervention training, pumper operations, and aerial operations (outside of the ‘pre-service’ program)
- Completion of the emergency medical responder (EMR) program
- Demonstrated experience as an active firefighter with a municipal, military, federal and/or industrial fire service
- Demonstrated computer skills
- Fluency in a second language or sign language
- To be eligible to participate in this competition, you must submit a cover letter and resume by the date listed above. Cover letters and resumes are only being accepted online and you will receive an email confirmation that your cover letter and resume was received by the Town.
- Applicants must possess all necessary certifications outlined in the posting at time of application. Applicants who are in the process of obtaining the required certifications will not be considered.
- You are responsible for all costs (i.e. certificates, travel, testing, criminal reference check) throughout the recruitment process.
- Your online application will be screened by the selection committee and will be based on the minimum and additional qualifications listed in the job posting.
- If selected to move ahead in the process, you will receive an email from Human Resources and you will be required to email copies of all your qualifications for verification (PDF format is recommended).
- If the documents are not received on time or are not valid, the candidate shall cease to be considered for the position.
- Candidates who are successful in the initial screening process, will move ahead to the next stage of the recruitment process.
- Candidates are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process.
- Please note: only those candidates who are selected to move ahead in the process will be contacted.