Firefighter – Vaughan – 2022
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre containing a bustling subway, a state-of-the-art hospital that opened its doors in 2021 – the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, exciting projects that are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, we are an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, we continuously employ workplace best-practices – and they’re getting noticed! Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow.
• Possess valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Candidate Testing Service certificates, including Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three. Certificates must be completed and valid at time of application and job offer. Please visit www.ofai.ca for more information.
• You must be legally entitled to work in Canada
• Able to understand, and communicate clearly in oral and written English
• Completion of a minimum of Grade 12 (or equivalent as approved by the Ministry of Education)
• NFPA 1001 Level I & II (IFSAC or Pro Board seal, grandfathering)
• NFPA 472 or NFPA 1072 (Awareness and Operations)
• Pre-fire service college diploma
• Be available to work on a 24 hour shift schedule that involves working any day of the week, including weekends and holidays, to fulfill shift requirements
• Possess and maintain a valid unrestricted Ontario DZ driver’s licence with air brake endorsement. Selected candidates will be required to provide a current satisfactory driver’s abstract pre-employment. Recent changes in driver’s licence or demerit point status and changes in other stated qualifications must be disclosed at time of job offer and before the start of employment.
• Current clear Criminal Record Search, Vulnerable Sector Screening from an accredited Police Service
• Standard First aid certificate, level ‘C’ CPR
• Select candidates will be required to participate in skill testing session prior to offer.
Preference will be given to candidates who are currently an active:
• Career firefighter or part time (volunteer) firefighter
Considered an asset:
• Trade apprenticeship or certification recognized by an accredited College of Trade in any discipline
• Medical training or experience (i.e. paramedic, nursing etc.)
• Other relevant specialized training, qualifications or experience
• Demonstrated consistent community service and/or volunteer involvement
OFAI does not submit candidate certificates or applications to the City of Vaughan. Each candidate is responsible for and required to submit their application directly to the City of Vaughan.
Please ensure that you have all the minimum requirements prior to submitting your application on-line, and that all your certification cards/certificates are available when applying.
You must pay the application fee online by following the instructions below.
1) Candidates will need to sign up for a Perfect Mind account at vaughan.perfectmind.com:
a. How do I set-up an account?
To set up an account, visit vaughan.perfectmind.com and select ‘Sign up’. Alternatively, watch ‘How to Register for an Account Online’ on the recvaughan YouTube channel.
b. Register your personal information (please ensure that the spelling of your name, mailing address, e-mail address are the same as the ones you use in your Application)
c. If you are a current City of Vaughan employee, please use your personal email address when creating an account. Do not use your City of Vaughan issued e-mail address.
2) Once you have created an account you must register for the program (course ID 00027011):
a. How do I register for a program online?
To register for a program online, select 'Program Registration' along the top ribbon of your screen. Here you will have the ability to filter your search based on preferences such as location and area of interest. You can also search for the Course ID (00027011) in the ‘Keyword’ section. Select an area of interest, and you will be able to view a list of available courses that meet your needs. Select 'Register Now' to begin the process. Alternatively, watch these short videos to learn How to Register for a Program.
b. You can CLICK HERE for a direct link to process payment for the application fee.
3) Please include a copy of the receipt of payment when uploading your documents when you apply.
When you apply:
You will be required to download copies of all the following as one document when you apply:
• Copy of payment receipt for application fee
• Valid Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services certificates for Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three
• NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 (IFSAC or Pro Board seal, or proof of grandfathering)
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C Certificate
• Pre-offer, as part of a verification process, selected candidates will be required to provide proof of/original documentation (education/certifications/training/qualifications etc) outlined on resume, current Vulnerable Sector Check, Current driver’s abstract etc. Candidates responsible for providing documentation obtained/requested, at own expense.
Failure to provide proof and supporting documentation will automatically disqualify candidates from the recruitment process.
Throughout the recruitment process, communication will be made by e-mail. Ensure to check your e-mail regularly so as not to miss communication from the City of Vaughan. It is your responsibility to update your contact information at any time by logging into your candidate profile.
Selected candidates from the short list who have met all requirements, will be given job offers, conditional on available vacancies.
Resumes will be kept on file for the duration of this recruitment. You must reapply for future job postings.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised, the City of Vaughan uses email to communicate with applicants for open job competitions. The City of Vaughan has implemented a mandatory vaccine policy for all its employees. The City will comply with its human rights obligations, make exceptions for applicable medical conditions and accommodate employees legally entitled to accommodation.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.