Firefighter – Surrey – 2023
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidates will be required to perform a variety of job functions, including fire suppression activities, assisting at medical incidents, fire inspections, fire prevention education, community initiatives, working with our communications professionals within the dispatch centre and other related duties as required.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (You must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant).
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent.
- Two years or more of accumulated work experience after high school completion.
- Valid Class 3 or Class 1 Driver's License with air brake endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted) and a safe driving record.
- A current BC EMA Licensing Board First Responder License or higher level of EMA License (EMR, PCP, ACP). We do not accept OFA licensing.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal).
- Physically and psychologically suitable for the position of firefighter. (Meets NFPA 1582)
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19, in accordance with the Provincial Health Officer requirements for those working in the healthcare position.
- Willing to work day shifts, night shifts, weekends and holidays including extra shifts as required.
- To be available for short term emergency call out to meet business and operational needs, employees must live within Metro Vancouver or the Fraser Valley Regional District, no further east than Hope, no further north of Squamish, no further south than the USA border and no further west than the Metro Vancouver coast line.
- Successful completion of the Surrey Fire Service Basic Firefighting Knowledge Course* or equivalent**
Post Secondary Education: (choose one)
- 30 post-secondary institution credits
- one year minimum in an apprenticeship program (transcripts required)
- Degree or higher or red seal certification
Previous work experience in the hospitality industry (food service).
Previous work experience in:
- Police, Fire, Health Care – one year minimum
- Wildfire Service/Coast Guard/ Lifeguarding
- Military/Search Rescue
Previous work history with a non-profit organization.
Experience in team-oriented, sports or organizations.
Sport coaching or instructional qualification.
Rate your computer literacy:
- No experience
- Use computers when required
- Average knowledge of computer use
- Computer software expert
Did your previous work experience include:
- Self-paced, solitary work
- Working with a partner
- Working as part of a team
- Supervising others
- English only
- A language other than English