Firefighter – Surrey- 2021
Guided by the Department’s emphasis on service, diversity, honour, respect, and teamwork, the Surrey Fire Service provides support to the residents, communities, and businesses of Canada’s 12th largest city. We are looking for resilient, adaptable, committed candidates who have goals and values that are aligned with those of the Surrey Fire Service; to provide the best emergency response and fire prevention initiatives possible. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are highly motivated and seeking a lifelong challenging and rewarding career as a firefighter.
Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidates will be required to perform a variety of job functions, including fire suppression activities, assisting at medical incidents, fire inspections, fire prevention education, community initiatives, working with our communications professionals within the dispatch centre and other related duties as required.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (You must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant).
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent.
- Two years or more of accumulated work experience after high school completion.
- Valid Class 3 or Class 1 Driver's License with air brake endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted) and a safe driving record.
- A current BC EMA Licensing Board First Responder License or higher level of EMA License (EMR, PCP, ACP). We do not accept OFA licensing.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal).
- Physically and psychologically suitable for the position of firefighter.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Successful completion of the Surrey Fire Service Basic Firefighting Knowledge Course* or equivalent**
- 30 post-secondary credits or one year minimum in a trade apprenticeship program (you will be asked to submit transcripts).
- Previous experience in emergency services: structural firefighting, forest fire service, police, coast guard, EMS, military, health care, lifeguarding, or search and rescue.
- A history of volunteerism and community participation.
- Experience in team-oriented activities or organizations.
- Coaching, teaching, or instructional experience.
- Knowledge and ability to work effectively with computers and computer programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Fluency in languages other than English.
This position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Please note: All City of Surrey employees are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Employees without proof of vaccination are required to participate in the City’s Rapid Testing Program and are responsible for all associated costs.