Firefighter Probationer – Victoria – 2019
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
This is a skilled and physically demanding position under the supervision of, and reporting, to a Company Officer and the Battalion Chief. This position is responsible for responding to fire and life hazard emergencies in accordance with standard operating procedures. These emergencies can involve minimizing distress and suffering, and frequently include numerous hazards.
Firefighters work closely with local schools, community organizations, and citizens to increase fire safety awareness and to help prevent fires from happening in the first place.
Firefighters maintain, clean, and test equipment ensuring its readiness for use, and may assist in the dispatch of apparatus and personnel. Working as a firefighter means continuous learning – exercises, lectures, practice drills and other forms of training are all part of the job.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Respond to fire and rescue incidents, dangerous goods incidents and life hazard emergencies, which may require the removal of people from danger.
• Familiarize and safely operate all firefighting equipment and related rescue tools, including fire streams and other practices as directed through the Standing Orders and Operational Guidelines of the Victoria Fire Department.
• Achieve and maintain a First Responder Level III licence and administer first aid to injured people.
• Possess and maintain a valid Class 3 driver’s licence with air brake endorsement.
• Perform in-station duties as assigned.
• Perform routine and unscheduled maintenance of apparatus, portable and fixed tools and equipment.
• Perform routine maintenance at fire stations, including cleaning and housekeeping.
• Compose and write comprehensive reports.
• Attend training sessions as directed and maintain a thorough knowledge of all equipment and apparatus, firefighting techniques, Standard Operating Guidelines and Standing Orders of the Victoria Fire Department.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of the topography of the City of Victoria including streets, block numbers, water distribution systems, and location of target hazard occupancies, such as but not limited to high-rise apartment buildings, seniors’ facilities and hospitals.
• UVic Physical Fitness Certificate dated January 1, 2019 or more recent
• NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 and 2
• WorkSafeBC Occupational First Aid Level 2 or BC First Responder Level 3, or equivalent
• Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status
• Proof of Grade 12 or equivalent
• Valid British Columbia Class 3 Driver’s Licence with Air Brake Endorsement or equivalent
• Driver’s Abstract reflective of no more than six points since July 1, 2016
• Canadian Coast Guard Pleasure Craft Operator Card
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…