Firefighter Probationer – Oshawa – 2020
Oshawa Fire Services, is seeking motivated individuals to join our Fire Services team. The Fire Fighter - Probationer is required to work as part of a professional team and will operate and maintain firefighting apparatus, equipment, and fire stations; combat fires; perform rescue work; administer designated emergency medical procedures/aid; fulfill duties of call-taker/dispatcher as required; inspect properties and equipment for fire hazards; participate in public education programs and continually upgrade skills/knowledge and physical requirements to current standards, and other duties as assigned.
Fire Fighters are required to work all days of the week including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays in shifts that are 24 hours in length, which totals 168 hours over a four-week period. The 24 hour shift structure is being implemented on a trial basis at this time. There are currently six fire stations located throughout the City of Oshawa. Staff may be assigned or transferred to any station at any time. Fire Fighters are required to maintain membership in the Oshawa Fire Fighters Association, Local #465, of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF).
To be eligible to compete in this competition, applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Be 18 years of age or older and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma O.S.S.D (Grade 12) or academic equivalent and successful completion of one of the following:o Pre-services Firefighter Education and Training Program Certificate or;o N.F.P.A. 1001 accredited program from a recognized institution or;
o O.F.M. curriculum components 1,2, and 3 with examination certificate or;
o Minimum two years’ experience as a full-time Firefighter in a municipal fire department
- Minimum one year of prior full-time work experience. Fire suppression, construction, trades, mechanical, emergency medical, large vehicle operation or fire prevention related experience is an asset.
- N.F.P.A. 1031 or 1035 is an asset
- Current Standard First Aid with HCP, CPR and AED. Completion of higher level E.M.S training is an asset.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License, minimum class D.Z. Applicants with more than six demerit points are ineligible for consideration.
- Have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Specialized rescue courses are an asset.
- Applicants must successfully complete Stage One, Two (only hearing and vision tests are required during COVID-19 testing restrictions) and Three of Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Program and hold certificates that were valid within the 6 months prior to posting closing date, for these stages. For more information, please visit www.ofai.ca (All costs associated with the test are the responsibility of the applicant).
- Ability to work 24 hour shifts, including days/nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be fit and able to handle the sustained, intense physical and psychological effort required to perform duties of this position.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, strong interpersonal and customer service skills for interacting with the public and internal City staff
- Demonstrate initiative, mechanical aptitude and problem solving skills.
- Speak, read and write English fluently, and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding conditions
1. Detailed resumes must be submitted electronically by accessing the City of Oshawa website at www.oshawa.ca/employment
2. Applications which contain errors or omissions, or failure to follow procedural directions and meet deadlines at any stage of the recruiting process, will result in an application being disqualified. Hard copies of resumes will not be accepted.
3. Ensure that a valid e-mail address and phone number are provided; the majority of contact will be via email. Please ensure that you check your junk e-mail to ensure that mail does not get lost in this folder.
4. Please note that applicants will be required to provide proof of all qualifications; applicants will be notified when this is required.