Firefighter – Prince Rupert – 2022
Those interested in applying for an available position are invited to contact the corresponding department via City Hall. Please read the job posting for more details.
Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we can only contact those who succeed to the interview stage.
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident;
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent (i.e. GED);
- 2 years or more work experience after high school;
- Valid class 5 Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement;
- Physically fit and psychologically suitable for the role of Firefighter;
- Commitment to personal development;
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter I & II Certification (IFSAC, Pro Board);
- Valid Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) license or higher level of BC Provincial EMA licensing;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment;
- Professional, courageous, forthright and works well under pressure;
- Knowledge and ability to work effectively with computers, experience with Microsoft Office;
- Fluent in English (oral and written).
- Past experience in any of the following: emergency services, structural firefighting, forest fire service, police, coast guard, EMS, military, healthcare, or search and rescue;
- Firefighter work experience program;
- NFPA 1021 fire officer 1, NFPA 1041 fire service instructor 1; and completion of other related NFPA courses;
- Post-Secondary education or trades certification;
- History of volunteerism, community participation or team-oriented activities.
SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL:
- Be responsible for all travel cost throughout the recruitment process;
- Participate in testing conducted in Prince Rupert over consecutive days;
- Provide a current 3 year Driver’s Abstract;
- Complete a criminal records check including vulnerable sector check;
- Provide proof of education and certifications;
- Complete a psychological suitability and resiliency assessment;
- Complete a physical fitness evaluation;
- Complete a practical fire skills evaluation (follows NFPA 1001 standard);
- Complete a written firefighter aptitude
NEW HIRE COVID-19 POLICY: As noted in our Covid-19 Hiring Policy, HR-F32, and posted on our website, all successful external candidates will be required to be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination, effective the date of this policy. For more details, candidates can refer to the full policy here.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Department
Email (PDF form): [email protected] City of Prince Rupert
424 - 3rd Avenue West, Prince Rupert, BC, V8J 1L7
Late applications will not be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.