Firefighter – Port Coquitlam – 2023
A Firefighter is responsible for rapidly and efficiently performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable hazard. The work would include: extinguishing and preventing of fires, saving of life and property, routine servicing and maintenance of fire equipment, apparatus, and participation in community programs. A firefighter is required to exercise independent judgment and action in emergency situations where referral to a superior for directions is not always possible.
Applications will be screened to ensure the following qualifications have been met. If you do not meet all
of the Required Qualifications please do not submit an application, as it will not be considered.
• Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant with legal entitlement to work in Canada
• Successful completion of an approved firefighter training program resulting in the completion of
a NFPA 1001 Level I & II Certification with appropriate IFSAC or Pro Board Seals
• Hazardous Materials Emergency Response: Operational Level (NFPA 472) certification
• A valid BC Emergency Medical Assistant Licencing Board licence in one of the following:
o First Responder Level III with Schedule 2 endorsements
o Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
o Primary Care or Advanced Care Paramedic
Please note that applicants must be licenced in BC and provide a letter or card that notes the licence
number and expiry date.
• Vision and hearing that meets the criteria listed in NFPA 1582 Chapter 6:
o Colour and peripheral vision safe for the position of firefighter
o 20/30 corrected binocular vision and 20/100 uncorrected binocular vision or better
o Normal hearing without artificial aids
• Proof of Grade 12 High School Graduation or equivalent
• A valid B.C. Driver’s Licence, Class 3 with Air Endorsement
• A driving abstract obtained within 30 days of the current posting closing date that reflects:
o Last 5 years of your driving history
o Driver’s licence points (more than 6 points will eliminate candidates)
o Any suspensions, prohibitions or multiple non-point offences within the last 3 years.
These infractions may eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
• As part of the recruitment process, applicants may be asked to provide a Police Information Check
from the police department serving the area the applicant currently resides in. Applicants cannot
have any criminal charges or convictions that are related to the duties of the position for which
you have not received a pardon. You must be open, honest and willing to disclose all information
pertaining to this record check.
• Resident requirement: live within 30 kilometers of the City boundaries as detailed in the Local
#1941 IAFF Collective Agreement.
These additional skills and experiences will enhance your application but do not replace the required
• Completion of other fire/rescue service-related courses or programs.
• Practical experience, training and education transferable to areas of firefighting:
o Experience and/or training in emergency services: Fire, Police, Coast Guard, EMS
o Search & Rescue and/or Wildfire Service experience
o Construction or mechanical related trades
o Heavy equipment operator, truck driving tandem axle vehicles with a Class 1, 2 or 3
o Advanced medical or first aid training (FR, EMR, PCP/ACP, EMT, Nursing)
o Academic studies – College/University
o Knowledge of different cultures or fluency in languages other than English
o Coaching, teaching or instructing experience
o Ability to swim and related lifesaving and rescue certificates
o Volunteer experience and community involvement
o Demonstrated athletic or physical capabilities and achievements
o Knowledge and ability to work effectively with computers, programs and software
o Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
Discover why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam!
Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award-winning values-based organization made up of a diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
Port Coquitlam Fire & Emergency Services is now accepting applications from highly motivated, energetic and dedicated men and women to assume the role of Firefighter.