Firefighter – Merritt – 2021
The City of Merritt’s Fire Rescue Services Department has an exciting opportunity for a Firefighter to join our team of professional career Firefighters on a full-time basis for an 18-month term contract. As a Firefighter, you will work with the team of career and volunteer firefighters to suppress fires, perform road rescues, respond to medical and other emergencies, conduct commercial inspections and pre-incident planning. You will participate in regular extensive training to maintain your competencies and you will participate in community events to support a safe community and raise awareness of fire safety and prevention.
This opportunity is ideal for a qualified individual who possesses a deep sense of responsibility for serving the public with integrity and honesty and who is committed to lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
Interested applicants must ensure they meet the following required qualifications by the application deadline and the required qualifications must still be current and valid by date of hire:
- Canadian Citizenship or legal entitlement to work in Canada.
- Completion of High School graduation or equivalent supplemented by a minimum of 3 years’ recent related work experience.
- Completion of a trades apprenticeship (2nd year), post-secondary course work or equivalent training and experience is preferred.
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level 2 Certification with IFSAC or PROBOARD accreditation.
- NFPA 472, Hazardous Materials Operations Certification.
- Current BC Emergency Medical First Responder Level 3 License with AED, Spinal and Naloxone Endorsements or equivalent
- Current CPR Level HCP.
- Class 5 driver’s license (or higher), with air brake endorsement.
- A driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior. A record with more than six points within the previous three years will eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- Must be able to successfully pass a Firefighter Medical Examination according to NFPA 1582 Standards.
- Must have a satisfactory Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT - External) or equivalent (within the last 12 months or as part of the selection process).
- Willing to reside within 5km of the Fire Station.
The selection process will include psychometric testing, an NFPA written exam, Beep Test, Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb, panel interview and offers are subject to medical examinations.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, employment is conditional on a satisfactory police information check.
It is an exciting time to be a part of our team! We’re looking for people to bring creative ideas, fresh thinking and motivation to join the City of Merritt team. We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for health, vision, dental, group insurance, pension and well-being along with meaningful work in a respectful environment.
The City of Merritt thanks all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected to participate in the process will be contacted.