Firefighter – Maple Ridge – 2021
While working as part of a team of career and paid-on-call firefighters, full-time firefighters work with management to achieve an efficient and effective operation of the Fire Department through reliable performance of firefighting, maintenance, education, training and inspection duties; observing and complying with municipal policies and safety practices. Firefighters work to perform a variety of skilled firefighting, medical, rescue and hazmat related duties involved in the protection of life, property, and the environment. The firefighter performs a variety of fire and life safety inspection duties in buildings throughout the community, to ensure compliance with applicable codes and municipal bylaws. Firefighters conduct fire and life safety education sessions to groups and individuals throughout the community and participate in public relations events when assigned. Firefighters are involved in routine housekeeping and maintenance of fire department apparatus equipment, and property related to the operation of the fire department. Firefighters are actively involved in continuing their education and advancing their skills and abilities through attendance to courses and regular training sessions. Firefighters actively participate in the delivery of training and sharing of knowledge with other Fire Department personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Although assignments and responsibilities are generally performed under supervision, firefighters may be required to make decisions and work without supervision until a fire officer arrives on scene. Overall performance is subject to review, inspection and evaluation by a senior officer of the department.
- Canadian Citizen or legal entitlement to work in Canada.
- Grade 12 education including diploma or GED.
- Must be a minimum of 19 years of age.
- No conviction of a criminal offence related to the job duties of a firefighter.
- Must be a current paid-on-call member, minimum rank of probationary firefighter, of the Maple Ridge Fire Department.
- Possess a minimum valid Class 5 Driver’s license with an *acceptable driver’s license abstract* (applicant cannot have more than 6 points in one year or 9 points in 5 years. They cannot have any alcohol related offences - i.e. impaired driving or 215 suspensions and cannot have any suspensions caused by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles.
- Physical Fit.
- Medically Fit.
- Vision must meet the standards established by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles as a prerequisite for a Class 3 Driver's License.
- Must reside in the area bounded by the Pitt River to the West, Stave River to the East and Fraser River to the South.
HARD COPY APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
You will also be required to submit a hard copy application directly to the Fire Hall as part of the application process. The application form is located at the bottom of the online application page. Please download the form ensure you have all of the items identified in the checklist below.
This application must be completed and submitted on or before 1600 hours, Friday, May 7th, 2021.
The application is to be completed in your handwriting. Ensure that all of the required information is complete and copies attached.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING WITH THIS APPLICATION:
- Ensure all sections of the application are complete.
- Copy of Driver’s License (front and back)
- Current Driver’s Abstract (Not Required).
- Criminal Record (or proof of request of record) (dated on or after March 1st, 2021)
- Copies of ALL current certificate(s) referred to in support of your application.