Firefighter – London – 2022
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED
Please read all the sections on this page carefully to ensure that you completely understand the process and requirements before applying.
How Does the Application Process Work?
The application process starts here, on this website. You’ll need to:
- Register on this website: you’ll need a valid, unique email address and a password of your choice.
NOTE: If you have applied in the past you will need to create a new account and application.
- Pay the administrative fee (see below).
- Fill out application form online. This application must be completed and finalized BEFORE July 11th, 2022, at 5:00pm EST.
Costs/Fees for Probationary Firefighter Application
- Any costs incurred to obtain and/or provide supporting documentation are your responsibility.
- Non-refundable administrative fee of $180.00 CDN (plus 13% HST – #822318424RT0001) (payable via PayPal®, MasterCard®, Visa®, or American Express®) prior to application.
Applicants must be able to show successful completion of the below:
Proof of Grade 12 Diploma in the Province of Ontario, GED or equivalent. (Transcript with grades or diploma accepted as proof)
Current IFSAC and/or ProBoard Endorsed:
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level I
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level II
- NFPA 1072 Hazmat Awareness
- NFPA 1072 Hazmat Operations
- Specialty rescue certificates seals from IFSAC and/or ProBoard will be considered an asset.
Special consideration will be given to Technician Level Certifications for the above.
DZ DRIVER’S LICENSE REQUIREMENT:
- Valid unrestricted Ontario class D driver’s license with a Z endorsement prior to application closing date on July 11th, 2022.
- Out of Province equivalent licenses will be accepted at the time of the application, however these must be converted to a valid Ontario DZ license within 90 days of hire.
- Must provide proof of a 3-year uncertified driver’s abstract with application.
FIRST AID CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS:
- Current First Aid, CPR & AED Certification is required.
- ‘Emergency Care for Professional Responders’ (previously known as EMR certification) will be considered an asset.
DRIVERS ABSTRACT REQUIREMENT:
3 Year Uncertified Drivers Abstract
Please upload a copy of your original Driver’s Abstract (a copy of a copy will not be accepted). If you already possess a 3 Year Uncertified Drivers Abstract, it must be dated from January 11th, 2022 forward. You can order the drivers abstract online via Service Ontario Website for $12.00. Any Driver’s Abstracts dated after July 11th, 2022 will not be accepted.
Driver’s Abstract’s are to be uploaded to online application before the application deadline of July 11th, 2022, at 5:00pm EST.
CRC WITH VSS REQUIREMENT:
Criminal Record Check (CRC) with a Vulnerable Sector Screen (VSS)
Already Have a CRC with VSS?
- The City of London will accept your CRC with VSS if it is dated from July 11th, 2021 forward (no more than 12 months old).
Need an updated CRC with VSS?
- If you do not have a CRC with VSS dated July 11th, 2021 forward, please apply online at your local Police Station of the city reflected on your driver’s licence. (eg: If your driver’s licence address shows an address of London – you must apply for CRC with VSS in London. If your driver’s licence shows Waterloo and you live in London; your options are: get your CRC with VSS in the city your licence is listed (eg. Waterloo).
OR Update your driver’s licence to reflect your current address with the correct city and obtain the CRC with VSS from your local police department.
Not sure what to bring when applying for CRC with VSS?
- Please call your local Police Station to see if you require a sign-off/request form in order to apply for your CRC with VSS for employment opportunities and if so, please contact [email protected] to request a form to bring with you.
Reside in Toronto?
Criminal Record Check
- For those applicants who reside in the Toronto area, Toronto police requires you to obtain your CRC online separate from your VSS.
- We recognize that you may or may not receive your Criminal Records Check results back from the Toronto Police prior to the July 11th, 2022, at 5:00pm EST deadline – simply: upload your receipt with your documents for your application. This will serve as proof of applying for it.
Vulnerable Sector Screen (for Employment)
- For your VSS (Employment) request, please print the below form on LEGAL sized paper, fill out in blue ink only and mail to the address located at the top of the form:
Toronto CRC with VSS Request Letter (PDF)
- You will be required to submit a $65.00 certified cheque or money order with the VSS application directly to the police department with the same form.
- Please ensure to check off the box on the form next to reason for request as “Employment”.
- Your VSS will be mailed back to you once it has been processed.
- For full details of how to submit your VSS request please visit the Toronto Police Website
- We recognize that you may or may not receive your Vulnerable Sector Screen results back from the Toronto Police prior to the July 11th, 2022, at 5:00pm EST deadline – simply: make a copy of the filled out form, along with copy of your certified cheque and/or money order and upload the copy with your documents for your application. This this will serve as proof of applying for it.
Keep your CRC with VSS receipt!
- While waiting for your CRC with VSS to be processed from your local Police Department, you may use your paid receipt as proof of applying. You may upload the receipt to your on-line application (once the portal is active on June 10th, 2022).
Receipts must reflect a date on or prior to July 11th 2022 and must be uploaded to online application before application close date on July 11th, 2022, at 5:00pm EST.
PHYSICAL TESTING REQUIREMENT:
Only York University Firefighting Physical Fitness Tests will be accepted (The City of London will not be accepting CPAT’s).
The City of London will accept your York University Firefighting Physical Test certificate and consider it valid with a date from January 11th, 2022 forward.
- If you don’t have one, please book your fit test today by emailing [email protected] The current dates are being held for the City of London: June 24th, June 25th, July 7th, and July 8th, 2022. The cost of the Fitness test is to borne by the applicant. Please print off, fill out and bring with you to your fit test the following documents:
- 2022 PARQ+
- 2022 FireFighter Applicant Volunteer Fitness Test Information
- COVID-19 Pandemic – Self-Declaration
- You will not have to wear a mask during the test, however you will require a mask to wear once inside the building to get to the fitness test and when leaving the fitness test.
- CPATs will not be accepted.
All candidates applying to the 2022/2023 City of London Probationary Firefighter Recruitment and have paid the administrative fee within the application portal (once the portal is active on June 10th, 2022) WILL write the pre-qualifying exam.
You will be required to bring the following to the exam:
- Photo ID
- Your Applicant ID
This will be emailed to you when your application is finalized. You will also see your Applicant ID displayed in the top-right of this portal once you’ve registered and logged in.
Sunday, July 17th, 2022
TIME: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
RBC Place (formerly London Convention Center)
300 York St
Doors open 1 hour before exam. Exam doors close at 1:50 pm.