Firefighter – Kamloops – 2022
Kamloops Fire Rescue is a composite fire department with 115 career and 28 auxiliary firefighters. The City has seven fire stations, providing public safety to a population of approximately 100,000 citizens covering an area of 311 square kilometers. In addition, Kamloops Fire Rescue is responsible for the receipt of 911 emergency calls and fire dispatch for the City of Kamloops and 29 other Thompson-Nicola Regional District fire halls.
The field of firefighting has changed substantially over the last decade and the nature of our calls requires a different type of firefighter. Today, firefighters are mature, well-educated individuals who represent the diverse nature of the community we serve. We encourage women and ethically diverse candidates to bring their own unique strengths and experiences to the service.
All applicants are considered, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family status, marital status, physical and mental disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political belief or conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
The City of Kamloops is establishing an eligibility list of qualified Firefighters in anticipation of future vacancies. All interested applicants must refer to the recruitment information on our website and apply online.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Canadian Citizen or legal entitlement to work in Canada.
- Completion of Senior Secondary School and one (1) or more of the following:
- 3 years Post-Secondary work experience; or
- Completion of 2nd year Trades Apprenticeship; or
- Completion of 30 Post Secondary Credits; or
- Completion of two (2) full seasons as a Provincial Wildfire Firefighter; or
- Completion of two (2) years of Military service.
- Successful completion of an approved firefighter-training program resulting in a minimum of Firefighter Level 2 Certificate (NFPA 1001) with IFSAC or PROBOARD official accreditation (seal).
- Valid BC Driver's Licence - Class 3 or 1 with air brake endorsement. Out of province applicants must provide proof of equivalency.
- Current driver’s abstract – driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior. A record with more than six points within the previous three years will eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- Valid license in one (1) of the following:
- Emergency Medical Assistant; or
- First Responder Level III certificate; or
- Primary Care Paramedic certificate.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence – Class 4.
- Emergency Medical Responder.
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
- Community Involvement.
For new hires and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes and passes a criminal record check.
For detailed information on this position and for more information on our community, please refer to our website. The City of Kamloops thanks all applicants for their interest in applying for this position; however, only those selected to participate in the process will be contacted.
Note that more than one may be hired.
Benefits will be available as per IAFF Collective Agreement.