Firefighter – Kamloops – 2021
At the City of Kamloops, we believe in progressive and barrier free recruitment for everybody everyday. This means employment opportunities for all in a safe, inclusive and diverse workplace. We know our city is stronger when we hire qualified individuals from different backgrounds with diverse experiences, cultures and perspectives.
All applicants are considered, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family status, marital status, physical and mental disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political belief or conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
Persons with a disability or in need of assistance with the application process are encouraged to contact the Human Resources Department at 250.828.3439 or [email protected]
We are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates our employees who make it all happen. We are known as Canada’s Tournament Capital and are famous for our hospitality and community spirit, traits that make us a leader! Recreation, sports, arts and culture, health care, social activities, volunteerism, and affordable housing all meld to form a unique blend of big city amenities with small-town ambience. This is Kamloops!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Fire Suppression
- Medical First Response
- Motor Vehicle Incidents
- Hazardous Materials Response
- Technical/High Angle Rescue, Water/Ice Rescue, Confined Space Rescue
- Canadian Citizen or legal entitlement to work in Canada.
- Completion of Senior Secondary School and one (1) or more of the following:
- 3 years Post-Secondary work experience; or
- Completion of 2nd year Trades Apprenticeship;
- Completion of 30 Post Secondary Credits; or
- Completion of two (2) full seasons as a Provincial Wildfire Firefighter; or
- Completion of two (2) years of Military service. Successful completion of an approved firefighter-training program, NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level 2 Certificate (with IFSAC or PROBOARD accreditation.
- Valid BC Driver's Licence - Class 3 or 1 with air brake endorsement. Out of province applicants must provide proof of equivalency.
- A driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior. A record with more than six points within the previous three years will eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- Valid WorkSafe BC Occupational First Aid Level III certificate OR Emergency Medical Assistant OR Primary Care Paramedic certificate OR First Responder Level III certificate OR equivalent.
- You can only submit an online application form and résumé.
- You need to be successful at each stage of the selection process to advance to the next stage and be considered for hire.
- If you are unsuccessful at any step throughout the testing process, you will be informed via email that you cannot continue in the current recruitment process.
- You are responsible for ensuring that your application package is complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If you intentionally misrepresent yourself or your qualifications, knowingly withhold information or are deceitful at any stage in the process, your application will be withdrawn.
- Unless your contact information changes during the recruitment process, no phone calls or emails please. All information you need can be found on this page and on our recruitment page.
- The 2021 recruitment competition will close on Friday, May 14, 2021 at 11:59pm.