Firefighter – Fort Saskatchewan – 2018
Reporting to the Platoon Captain, the Firefighter is responsible for the readiness and professional delivery of services and duties under the authority of fire department. A firefighter must report to work “fit for duty”, enabling the performance of safe and effective job duties in a high risk emergency environment. The Firefighter works in a team atmosphere in close cooperation with all platoon officers, fire service leadership team, and staff within the department.
The Fort Saskatchewan Fire Department is housed with the Ambulance Service in a modern facility with excellent equipment and apparatus. The Department is a vital component of the Protective Services Section of the City, together with our mutual aid partners contributes to the safety and quality of life in our community. The Fort Saskatchewan Fire Department is a proud member of the Northeast Region Community Awareness Emergency Response (N.R. CAER) Organization.
The City of Fort Saskatchewan paid-on-call Firefighters will respond to fire and emergency calls and participate in educating the community in various aspects of emergency safety. The Firefighter is responsible for completing duties as assigned to support the implementation of effective, efficient and ethical departmental procedures, and to meet the customer service goals and objectives of the Fire Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary Accountability Include:
- Fire Response
- Vehicle extrication
- Public Hazard assistance
- Medical First Response as required
- Assist with as required
- Fire inspections / Preplanning
- Public Relations and Fire Safety Education
- Station and equipment checks
- A valid class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operator’s License is required
- Q endorsement would be an asset.
- Previous firefighting experience or training would be an asset but is not required.
- The successful candidate will be in good physical condition and able to meet the physical and medical requirements of the position.
- Candidates must be a minimum 18 years of age
- Completed a grade 12 education and live within the defined geographical boundary for response to the station.
- A current driver’s abstract and a Police Information with Vulnerable Sector Check will be required at the time of interview.
The City of Fort Saskatchewan
People Services Department
10005 - 102 Street
Fort Saskatchewan, AB T8L 2C5
E-mail: [email protected]
The City of Fort Saskatchewan is a vibrant economic and cultural hub located just 15 minutes northeast of Edmonton on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River. Home to more than 26,000 people, the City proudly manages state of the art recreation, culture and historic amenities including 75 km of outdoor trails, a performing arts theatre and fitness centre within the Dow Centennial Centre, and the Fort Heritage Precinct including the 1875 – 1885 NWMP Fort representation in historic downtown.
This is a temporary position with the possibility of becoming permanent at the completion of the term.