Firefighter – Coquitlam – 2022
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam offers meaningful career opportunities to make a difference within the local community. As the sixth largest city in BC, we are home to more than 150,000 residents. Our diverse municipality is a great place to work as it continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre. We envision a bright future in Coquitlam that we hope includes you!
Coquitlam Fire & Rescue is currently accepting applications for career firefighters to join our team of firefighting professionals in a rewarding and multi-faceted career. As an ambassador of public safety within our community, our firefighters have a passion for public service and understand and observe our core values:
- Treating People Fairly;
- Build Organizational and Community Capacity;
- Inform, Involve and Inspire; and
- Innovate to Sustain Community Quality of Life.
- Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant with legal entitlement to work in Canada;
- Must be at least 19 years of age on the date of application;
- Completion of High School or GED;
- Current (within 30 days from date of application) Valid Class 3 B.C. Driver’s License without restrictions, with airbrake endorsement and a good driving record. More than 6 points is considered excessive and applicants will not be considered;
- No conviction of a relevant criminal offense for which a pardon has not been granted;
- First aid certification (WCB Occupational First Aid Level-1) or equivalent;
- Physically and psychologically fit to perform the position of Firefighter;
- Successful completion of an approved Firefighter training program resulting in the completion of a NFPA 1001 Level 1 and 2 Certification (proof of transcript and certification must be submitted with application displaying Pro Board or IFSAC accreditation.)
Please do not contact Human Resources to inquire what courses are part of the NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 certification.
- Residency requirements in one of the following cities (required upon commencing employment):
- Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Burnaby, New Westminster and Vancouver
- Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Surrey, White Rock, North Vancouver - City and North Vancouver - District
- Delta, Richmond, Langley - City and Langley - Township
- Within permissible boundaries (requires pre-approval from the Fire Chief prior to commencing employment):
- West Vancouver, Abbotsford, Mission and Chilliwack
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements set out above, the following are the City’s preferred qualifications and will substantially increase a candidate’s chances of being invited into a firefighter recruitment process:
- Successful completion of any one of the following technical courses:
- Hazard Materials Tech Level
- Confined Space Tech Level
- Swift Water Tech Level
- Technical Rope Tech Level
- HUSAR Tech Level
- Valid First Responder, Emergency Medical Responder, Primary Care Paramedic or equivalent license.
- Accumulated work experience related to the needs of the Fire Service such as paid firefighting, auxiliary firefighting, forestry firefighting, and/or, paramedic experience.
- Successful completion of a trades qualification or relevant post-secondary degree.
- Volunteer and community engagement activities
Next steps include:
Prep your supporting documents prior to starting the application process. Applicants can scan all required documents into a single or PDF file. Most printing service stores will be able to assist you to scan your paper documents into a single PDF. Ensure the documents are laid out in the order listed below:
- Current Drivers Abstract (within last 30 days) –required.
- Secondary School diploma or equivalency- required
- Post Secondary Program Certificate, Diploma, Degree, or Trades Qualification (Red Seal) if applicable
- Any completed Hazard Materials Tech Level, Confined Space Tech Level, Swift Water Tech Level, Technical Rope Tech Level or Trench Rescue Tech Level certificates if applicable.
- Your NFPA 1001 level 1 and 2 Pro Board/IFSAC certifications- required
- EMR or First Responder license and/ or certification or Current First Aid certificates - if applicable