Firefighter – Coquitlam – 2019
FireRecruitment.ca is Sponsored By
(Click image to view service.)
Our sponsors help pay for server costs, email services and help keep this a service free. If you find yourself needing this service, please help them help us. Thank you. – Steve
Would you like to become a sponsor? Contact us.
During periods of active Firefighter recruitment campaigns, candidates are encouraged to carefully consider their qualifications against the stated requirements prior to completing and submitting their application.
Order of selection will be based on a competitive process where only those candidates that exemplify all requirements for the position (minimum and preferred qualifications) of Firefighter will be selected first.
- Current V02 max test within 6 months from the date of application. For further details on VO2 max testing contact Fortius Sport & Health at fortiussport.com, email at fortius.[email protected] or by phone at 604-292-2503.;
- Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant with legal entitlement to work in Canada;
- Must be at least 19 years of age on the date of application;
- Completion of High School or GED;
- Current (within 30 days from date of application) Valid Class 3 B.C. Driver’s License without restrictions, with airbrake endorsement and a good driving record. More than 6 points is considered excessive and applicants will not be considered;
- No conviction of a relevant criminal offense for which a pardon has not been granted;
- First aid certification shall be EMA-FR (Emergency Medical Assistant – First Responder) or equivalent. (Important Notice: Candidates are reminded that a valid EMA-FR license is a minimum requirement and must accompany your application. If this license is due to expire on or before January 31, 2021, it will be the candidate’s responsibility to ensure the license remains valid.);
- Physically and psychologically fit to perform the position of Firefighter;
- Successful completion of an approved Firefighter training program resulting in the completion of a NFPA 1001 Level 1 and 2 Certification (proof of transcript and certification must be submitted with application displaying Pro Board or IFSAC accreditation.) PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES TO INQUIRE WHAT COURSES ARE CONSIDERED PART OF THE NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 certification;
- Residency requirements in one of the following cities (required upon commencing employment):
Coquitlam | Port Coquitlam | Port Moody | Burnaby | New Westminster | Vancouver
Maple Ridge | Pitt Meadows | Surrey | North Vancouver - City | North Vancouver - District
Delta | Richmond | Langley - City | Langley – Township
- Within permissible boundaries (requires pre-approval from the Fire Chief prior to commencing employment):
West Vancouver | White Rock | Abbotsford | Mission | Chilliwack
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements set out above, the following are the City’s preferred qualifications and will substantially increase a candidate’s chances of being invited into a firefighter recruitment process:
- Successful completion of any one of the following technical courses:
- Hazard Materials Tech Level
- Confined Space Tech Level
- Swift Water Tech Level
- Technical Rope Tech Level
- Structural Collapse Tech Level
- Trench Rescue Tech Level
- Emergency Medical Responder, Primary Care Paramedic or equivalent licence.
- Red Seal Trade Certification in a construction-related discipline, eg. Plumbing/Gas Fitting; Carpentry; Electrical
- Diploma, undergraduate, graduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Accumulated work experience related to the needs of the Fire Service such as paid firefighting, auxiliary firefighting, forestry firefighting, and/or, paramedic experience.
- Volunteer and community engagement activities
Q. How do I apply to be a Firefighter?
A. During an open competition, applications are accepted online at the City of Coquitlam’s Career Opportunities page.
Q. What are the qualifications needed to be a Firefighter?
A. The minimum and preferred qualifications for a Firefighter, can be found above.
Q. What is the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)?
A. The NFPA serves as the world’s leading advocate of fire prevention, establishing codes and standards for Firefighters and fire safety.
Q. What is the NFPA 1001 level 1 and 2?
A. NFPA 1001 is the nationally recognized standard for the training of professional Firefighters. It identifies professional levels of competency required of fire department members, especially the requirements for entrance into the fire service.
Q. What is IFSAC accreditation?
A. As the governing body in North America, the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) ensures that standards set by the NFPA are maintained by fire training academies that administer their programs.
Q. Does the Coquitlam Fire/Rescue prefer that a candidate receive their NFPA 1001 level 1 and 2 training from a particular fire academy?
A. We do not favour one academy over another. All candidates must ensure that the academy they attend is IFSAC and/or ProBoard accredited.
Q. If I have only partially completed, or just registered for any of my licences or certifications, can I still apply?
A. No. You must have completed all of the required qualifications to be eligible to apply for a position.
Q. Are there any courses that the City of Coquitlam recommends that will help me strengthen my résumé?
A. We do not recommend any particular courses. However, we do recommend that each candidate reviews the Firefighter requirements described above.
Q. Can a Firefighter who is employed in another municipality interchange or transfer their position to the City of Coquitlam?
A. All applicants, regardless of previous training or experience, must apply to the City of Coquitlam as an entry-level Firefighter. There are no transfers between municipalities. If successful, all new Firefighter employees begin a 12 month probationary period.
Q. Does the Coquitlam Fire/Rescue recruit other positions other than Firefighter personnel?
A. Yes, all support positions are filled through the City of Coquitlam’s Human Resources Division. Please visit the City Coquitlam’s Career Opportunities page regularly for newly posted vacancies.
Q. Can interested persons ride along with fire personnel to learn more about the Firefighter position?
A. Presently, the City of Coquitlam Fire/Rescue does not offer ride alongs to non-fire personnel.
Q. Where can I obtain the NFPA 1001 certification?
A. There are a number of academies located across North America that are certified to deliver the NFPA 1001 program. Candidates should ensure that the academy they select is International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or ProBoard accredited. Make sure to ask the academy or check the IFSAC and ProBoard websites at ifsac.org and ProBoard.org.
Q. Is the City accepting applications for Auxiliary Firefighter Recruitment?
A. No. Due to increased demand for career firefighters, the City is not accepting applications for Auxiliary Firefighters. This may be subject to change in the future. Please monitor this web page for future updates.
Make This Recruitment Your Last! Here Are The Tools You Need…
Learning Center *NEW*
I have teamed up with the best training providers to bring you great firefighter training & courses. These providers will provide valuable insight, great tools and pad your resume!MORE INFO…
If you don’t think your resume stands out above the crowd, this is the service for you. We will make your resume shine above those of your competitors. Don’t let your dream job slide through your fingers because of a cookie cutter resume.MORE INFO…
Mock Interview Service
If you don’t feel prepared for your interview, we are here to help. Don’t just “wing” an interview, the best thing you can do to improve your chances is to be prepared. We record, critique (twice) and save all mock interviews to ensure you are prepared come interview day.MORE INFO…
Firefighter Aptitude Test Preparation
I can’t repeat this enough. When it comes to landing your dream job, preparation is KEY! The best thing you can do to prepare is to constantly stay on top of your game and study frequently. Check this great service out and be ready for your next aptitude test.MORE INFO…