Firefighter – Brantford – 2019
Brantford Fire Department Firefighters are an elite group of proud, highly trained and respected professionals dedicated to protecting the lives and property of our community. Under the direction of a Firefighting Captain, you will be a team player responsible for combating fires, rescue operations and providing medical assistance in an emergency environment. You will conduct routine maintenance of firefighting vehicles, facilities and equipment. You focus on community service while performing fire safety, education and inspections of properties and equipment for fire hazards. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Provide proof of completion of Grade 12 (OSSD or Transcript or GED accepted) (please attach proof of Grade 12 with application)
- Provide proof of NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II certifications from an accredited program from a recognized institution, accredited by the International Fire Services Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or Pro Board (must be complete with seals) OR a post-secondary diploma in a Pre-Service Firefighter Education Training program.
- Provide proof of a current Emergency First Responder including a valid "basic rescuer" CPR certificate (Level C); (must be valid until December 31, 2019).
- Provide proof of a valid Class D Driver's License with a Z endorsement;
- Provide a clean drivers' abstract (dated within 30 days) to the Corporation at the time of a conditional job offer
- Possess superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work co-operatively as a member of an effective and professional team
- Have a strong desire to serve the community
- Possess the ability and willingness to follow instructions promptly and efficiently and have a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow rules, regulations and procedures. Have the ability to acquire a general knowledge of hazardous materials, poisonous substances, arson detection, life safety systems and other job related subjects and be familiar with the procedures associated with these subjects.
- Must have the ability to make decisions and react calmly and quickly in emergency situations. Must possess the ability to swim, work within confined spaces and high places. Must be able to work rotating shifts including weekends and nights.
- University degree in any discipline (copy to be included with resume)
- Community College Diploma in any discipline (copy to be included with resume)
- EMCA Designation (copy to be included with resume)
- Trade Certification in any discipline recognized by the Ontario College of Trades (copy to be included with resume)
- Technical Rescue Training, (copy to be included with resume)
- Previous experience in fire suppression, please specify if the experience is Full-time, Part-time
- Previous experience with fire prevention, law enforcement, construction, trades mechanical, emergency medical, large vehicle operation, fire prevention (please define if experience is full-time/part-time/seasonal)
- Community Service involvement (Define role and commitment level e.g., yearly, monthly, weekly)
A Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check is required, at the candidate's expense, to be submitted at the time of conditional job offer.
Candidates must be able to obtain a valid York University Fitness certificate and Swim Test upon receiving a conditional offer of employment at your own expense.
Employment offers will only be made if the results of the candidate's Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check performed in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, are satisfactory.
All expenses associated with the recruitment process are the responsibility of the candidate.
Qualified candidates must complete the online job application form and must upload a resume, cover letter and copies of all required qualifications and credentials as one (1) pdf file with the maximum size of 10 MB.