Career Firefighter – Vernon – 2020
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Operations this position performs fire-fighting, rescue, first medical response, hazardous materials response, fire prevention and education, maintenance, and operation of fire and rescue equipment and facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to emergencies and performs fire-fighting, rescue, hazardous materials response, and first medical response activities as part of a team.
- Assists in the cleaning and maintenance of fire and rescue equipment and facilities.
- Participates in training and professional development activities.
- Provides fire safety inspections and fire prevention activities.
- May lead small teams in the completion of tasks and/or training.
- Provides fire and rescue services, public education, and participates in public relations activities.
- Participates in committee work to provide programs for maintenance and long term asset management.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with career and auxiliary fire fighters, Emergency Social Services, City of Vernon Public Works, Ambulance, Police, non-government organizations and other agencies in the course of duty.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing essential services during a declared local state of emergency such as flooding, or earthquake.Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
- Post-secondary education in a field(s) that provides for excellent comprehension, writing and computer proficiency, administrative and organizational abilities, and increased learning capacity.
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter Level II, IFSAC or ProBoard accredited certificate.
- NFPA 1002 General Requirements and Apparatus Equipped with Fire Pump, IFSAC or ProBoard accredited certificate.
- Fire service experience such as that obtained through career or volunteer, military, wildland, or industrial fire suppression.
- Current certification/qualification in one of the following:
- First Medical Responder Level III,
- Occupational First Aid Level III,
- St. John’s Advanced First Aid,
- Red Cross Advanced First Aid,
- Paramedic, or
- Valid BC Driver's Licence, Class 3 with air brake endorsement or another provinces’ equivalent.
- Auto Extrication certification.
- Confined Space Rescue Operations or Technician certification.
- Hazardous Materials Technician certification.
- Swift Water and Ice Rescue certification.
- Emergency Vehicle Operations certificate.
- High Angle Rescue certification.