Career Firefighter – Penticton – 2022
The City of Penticton's Fire Services Department is in search of highly skilled and energetic individuals to become a member of our team of professional Career Firefighters. This full-time position involves shift work and adjustments to work schedules in accordance with the Penticton Fire Department's Flex Firefighter Policy. Fire Services supports a safe community and enhances the quality of life for the citizens by responding to emergencies to help minimize injuries and loss of life or damage to property. Fire Services also helps to prevent fires and other emergencies through public education and inspections to ensure properties meet fire regulations and other safety requirements.
- Secondary School Graduation.
- Completion of the NFPA 1001 Levels 1 and 2 IFSAC or PROBOARD accreditation.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in a variety of circumstances.
- Thorough knowledge of various computer applications, as well as satisfactory keyboarding skills.
- Must pass medical, hearing, and vision standards of NFPA 1582: Standard on Firefighter Comprehensive Occupational Medical, directed by the City's choice of practitioner.
- A valid BC Class 3 Driver's License with Air Brake Endorsement; Automatic transmission is accepted.
- Valid BC Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board License, minimum First Responder License Level III with AED and Spinal Endorsements.
- Current Driver's Abstract that exhibits safe and responsible driving habits.
- Criminal Record Check that displays no convictions for criminal offences related to the job of a Firefighter.
- Exceptional swimming ability.
- Canadian Citizen or permanent resident, Legal entitlement to work in Canada.
- Committed to maintaining personal fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Post-secondary education (i.e. academic, technical, trades) or an acceptable combination of related technical or trades training.
- Minimum two-year work experience following Secondary School completion, preferably in work related to the needs of the fire service.
- Bronze Medallion.
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC).
- Completion of Fire Service related courses or programs.
- Actively involved in community and volunteer organizations.
- Significant focus on physical health and avoidance of substances counter to optimum health.
- Work well under high-pressure situations.
- Meet the City of Penticton Vaccination Policy requirements.
If you are seeking a challenging opportunity and possess the above mentioned qualifications, we would love to hear from you! We welcome your cover letter and resume by September 28, 2022. Candidates who meet the required qualifications may be invited to participate further in the selection process.