Probationary Firefighter – Whitby – 2022
In Whitby, we are dedicated to our work, our community, and each other. We work hard, we have fun, and we celebrate our successes.
The Town of Whitby is a community in transformation that is located in the heart of Durham Region in the eastern Greater Toronto Area. Whitby is the second-largest municipality in the region and one of the fastest-growing communities in Canada. Located on Lake Ontario and only an hour east of Toronto, the population of Whitby is expected to grow from 140,000 to more than 200,000 by 2031. Whitby’s Official Plan has been updated to establish new directions for Whitby’s planned growth and development; the protection of our natural and built environments; urban design intensification; sustainability; community improvement; and, new employment within this time frame.
The Town of Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with an award-winning marina, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day.
Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future, with a growing and increasingly diverse community where according to 2021 Stats Canada data, 35% of residents identify as a visible minority. With a community growing and transforming, the Corporation of the Town of Whitby is committed to being a welcoming, equitable, and inclusive employer and service provider
On our team, you can expect to make a difference through your work and have a direct impact on shaping our community. Creating an inclusive environment where employees experience job satisfaction and have rewarding careers is important to us. We live our values and foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement where people enjoy coming to work, and are valued for the experience that they bring, both personally and professionally.
We want to be the preferred employer for the most talented people who care about the Town of Whitby, and are excited and proud to serve our vibrant community.
Let’s grow together.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will have a positive impact on our corporate culture by demonstrating the Town’s CARE core values (Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Engaged) through daily interactions with individuals at all levels of the organization, external contacts and elected officials.
By effectively building positive rapport and relationships both internally and externally, the successful candidate will help us achieve our corporate mission that together we deliver services that make a difference in our community.
Reporting to the Fire Chief, and under the direction of the Deputy Fire Chief(s) and/or Platoon Chief(s), the Probationary Fire Fighter is required to:
- work as part of a professional team;
- respond to alarms and participate in all phases of firefighting, medical responses, specialized responses (ie. hazardous materials, water/ice rescue, confined space etc.) and all other emergency operations;
- administer designated emergency medical procedures;
- complete thorough inspection and maintenance of all apparatus and equipment, including post emergency maintenance and regularly scheduled inspections and maintenance;
- safely drive and operate departmental vehicles, apparatus and equipment in compliance with provincial legislation and corporate/department guidelines and procedures;
- participate in all training sessions/programs, post fire evaluations and critical incident stress debriefings;
- successfully complete training and/or promotional examinations, as required/applicable;
- participate in all public safety education and special events as required;
- maintain an appropriate level of physical fitness and/or a healthy lifestyle; and,
- other related duties as may be assigned.
As the successful candidate, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada and possess the following qualifications:
- an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD – Grade 12) or equivalency;
- a Certification from a recognized/accredited Pre-Service Fire Fighter Training Program; or a NFPA 1001 FF1, FF2 Certificate from a recognized institution accredited by IFSAC or Pro Board; or OFM curriculum modules with an OFM examination certificate (Not required to apply, but must be completed prior to commencing employment);
- a current Standard First Aid, CPR-C, with AED Certification (within 12 months prior to the posting closing date);
- possess a valid and unrestricted Ontario class “D” driver’s license with a “Z” air brake endorsement and a driving record that meets the Town of Whitby Corporate standard and demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Permission for the Corporation to obtain a driver’s abstract will be required at the conditional offer stage;
- a demonstrated ability to speak, read and write English fluently, and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding and high pressure conditions;
- an ability to carry out firefighting and rescue duties in a teamwork setting under hazardous physical conditions with a capacity for rapid, intense and sustained physical effort;
- a demonstrated commitment to maintaining good physical and mental fitness; and,
- an ability to work rotating shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- previous work experience in a physically strenuous position such as construction, general labourer, farming etc.;
- fluency in a second language and/or sign language;
- completion of higher level EMS First Aid and/or Medical training;
- previous experience and/or education in emergency services, trades, mechanical, large vehicle operation or other related disciplines;
- specialized technical rescue training including: Rope Rescue, Auto Extrication and Hazardous Materials;
- swimming certification such as Bronze Medallion or higher; and,
- demonstrated ongoing commitment to community services involvement/charitable or volunteer work.